Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Asbestos tile adhesive

My GF's basement has/had old tile we believe to be asbestos.  I scraped it out be we are left with 50 year old adhesive on the floor.  My questions are: What will safely take it off (I was not very safe taking the tile out)   Do we need to if we are putting vinyl tile down?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-22T20:57:44+0000  by jacstraw27 jacstraw27

Hey again Sydney881,

Since you asked this exact question twice, and I already answered it on another thread for you. I'll give you the link here for viewing my answer.

You can find it by clicking here.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concern regarding your floors.

Joseph

Posted 2013-06-12T19:23:08+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hello, so two years ago this coming August my family had to rip out our old floors in the hallway, living room, and kitchen to deal with a plumbing problem. My house is from the 1950's and therefore the wood that was thrown away probably had asbestos used to bind it to the floor using the cutback adhesive. We threw away all the wood and cleaned up two years ago now but we haven't had the money to put in new floors (my kitchen has tiles from the late 1970's to early 80's in it still so I think I'm okay in there). We covered the concrete in the hallway and living room with a patchwork of rugs and a few loose carpets. Therefore some areas of the original concrete are exposed (not much though, maybe like five square feet spread throughout the house). The only problem being that we never got rid of the cutback adhesive (we didn't know until now about it) and have therefore been walking around over it for almost two years now. I don't notice any of it chipping or damaged but it is there I just wanted to know if it was dangerous and if we should be worried.
Posted 2013-06-10T06:44:19+0000  by Sydney881

Hi we are remodling  our kitchen  from the 1060s! we dug up the floor and scrapped up the old tile and underneath is a very think black sticky like tar stuff that I have been reading about on here. we are on a very limited buget, and we are having the contracter here on monday to put up the cabinets  and we are doing the floor ourselves, rather we hired a friend who is laying down my satillo tiles, there is no way I can afford all this xtra stuff for the floor, is there any way i can put a seal over it? also it is very very thin, almost looks like its on wood? but it is cement underneath, please help, can we just put a seal or something over and  will this affect the satillo tiles? the floor is even, and the black sticky adhesive is very thin, almost like its stained on and would be impossible to get this off, any suggestions , we were hoping to put a seal over this? and is this harmful to us to let it sit under the tiles? thanks

Posted 2013-05-23T03:09:37+0000  by socalgigi

Check out www.schonox.us.com.  They have a leveler that can encapsulate the cutback adhesive.  Unlike other levelers one of their products doesn't shrink which allows it not to pull away from the adhesive backround.  Not available for DIY.  Check with a contractor.

Posted 2013-04-13T01:36:10+0000  by bhagen1378

Hey there illumin8,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Working with asbestos or cutback adhesive can definitely be a pain, but it seems you've prepared yourself better by reading through our topics on here about it so far.

The warning about the use of solvents is due to the fact that most of the time you'll end up softening the adhesive and causing it to seep deeper into the concrete, making it hard and harder to bond anything to it later on.

I would still recommend at least having the adhesive tested to see if you are indeed working with asbestos adhesive or not, as that can save you a lot of trouble for the steps ahead.

You'll need to create yourself a new wear layer first since you can't just paint directly over the old adhesive.

Since I don't see any mention of exactly how thick the cutback is, so I'm going to assume it is a relatively thin layer. to proceed you will want to ensure it's as thin as possible.

• Your first step is to encapsulate the area and create a skim-coated bond surface. The easiest way to achieve this is to start with FlexBond Thin-Set Mortar and coat a thin skim-coat on the cutback. FlexBond is an aggressive adhesive and will grab onto the cutback to ensure the next steps hold up properly over time.
  • Once that has set, you'll need to prep this new surface with a bonding primer. This will help your next layer adhere to it properly and set it up as a wear layer. Use the LevelQuik Latex Primer on your FlexBond substrate and allow it to dry to a clear film before proceeding.
  • Next, use a bag of LevelQuikRS Rapid-Setting Self-Leveling Underlayment to set up a new wear layer. This product will dry like a concrete surface once set and will be your new subfloor.
  • For proper use of this product, you must use an epoxy paint as the top coat. Most epoxy paints will recommend an etching of the concrete wear layer prior to use, however bypass this step as you will ruin the work you just put into it. Proceed with the manufacturer instructions for your paint and you will have a new walkable, painted surface!~
Posted 2013-04-04T14:40:11+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hello,  I really need some advise (besides call a professional)

I have discovered asbestos tile under my carpet. The tiles are now removed. Remaining is the "cutback", which seems to grow sticky white fibers if anything is left on it :(  Because of this I was going to bleach it until I read:

• Do not place solvents or chemicals on the adhesive 

Also, because if seems like we can't remove the adhesive completely and nothing will really be right over the floor again, we were planning on using sealer, primer and painting the concrete floor.  Will the adhesive eat through the paint if not removed?

What a mess.

illumin8

Posted 2013-04-01T17:01:08+0000  by illumin8

Even with the tile being encapsulated I would be careful about removing the carpet. If the carpet is nailed into the tile you will have to remove the tack strip and this will more than likely break the asbestos tile causing the asbestos to become airborne. If that happens you should have an abatment company come in and remove it.

Posted 2012-09-17T21:37:51+0000  by rhcple

Hey BigDubbleU,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

As 

Posted 2012-09-01T18:16:56+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Much like the creator of this topic, I removed vinyl tile from the basement of the home I recently moved into (the house was built in 1982).  There seems to be the black glue residue which was left behind after removing the tiles, and my wife and I intend on installing a tongue and groove laminate floor in over the concrete slab on which these tiles were removed.  Do I need to remove the residual glue, or can I simply place down the vapor barrier and install the flooring over it?  The floor is level as it sits now. 

I know that if this was, indeed, asbestos, then it can only be hazardous if disturbed, so will the barrier and flooring be enough to keep the residual glue from becoming a problem?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Rob

Posted 2012-08-28T17:09:56+0000  by BigDubbleU

Hey svriley,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Pardon me for being a bit confused, but are these 3 types of flooring are all in one room/area? If it is, you are correct in needing to get all of the floor even for the laminate planks to be installed properly. Contacting a local abatement company can be a big step in determining if you may encounter directly working with asbestos tiles. Luckily, as long as they are covered and not disturbed in any way, you can place laminate planks directly over them with a high-quality cushioned underlayment.

To assist you further, you could tell me a few things regarding your floor:

• would you be able to tear out the carpet yourself to inspect the floor closer?
  • how are the 3 types of flooring meeting in conjunction with each other? Are they in the same room or next to each other? If you can post pictures, that would greatly assist us
  • If you can see the height discrepancies on your floor, can you describe to us what size area you need to be level?
  • How high would the height difference be, if you can see it?

Placing a self-leveling compound with underlayment primer over any height differences in large areas would be your best solution for this. For any room transitions with height differences, using a hard surface reducer can work well in adjoining floors.

Let us know what areas are at issue on your existing floor so we can assist you in getting the best install for your new one.

Posted 2012-08-13T19:55:42+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+