Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Ask a Lawn Care Expert

"Which fertilizer/lawn chemical fits your needs? Ask our online expert now. (Note: Most questions are answered by an expert within 24 hours or less…7 days a week!) 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-28T19:48:53+0000  by HomeDepotTara HomeDepotTara

Hello,

I need to know what is the average costs of H2O for a srandard lawn, and what would be the best low maintenance type of lawn solution(s) for the Hacienda Heights.

I mention Hacienda Heights, because of the terrain the developers forced on the land. The development of land that has mainly gravel and rock vs. what would be a more forgiving land that could be turned into a suitable type of  or accepting type of land for normal grass growing?

Regards,

Joyce

Posted 2013-06-28T20:24:30+0000  by jboyeresq00

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  Hacienda Heights sounds like you are in Southern California.   Have you done any soil amending in your yard?  Much of SoCal is sand and gravel.  When putting in a lawn, the cost of your watering will be directly related to your area.  I live in the OC and during the summer months my water bill averages around $180 every 3 months.  I have developed my lawn to only need water 1-2 times a week for the front yard which has a lot of hard pack while the back yard needs water 2-3 times a week.  My back yard is mostly a sandy loam which is great for fruit trees but it can be a challenge to keep  your grass green during those hot summer days like we will be having this weekend.

When planning a lawn, you will want to think soil preparation.  A good quality soil amendment is placed into the ground to make for a healthy environment for the root system of your grass.  If you amend your soil down to a depth of 6-8 inches, the roots of your grass will be able to reach down to the depth of the amendment providing you have deep watered your grass.

A tall fescue seems to work well out here on the West Coast.  Here is a post I did which will explain how to prepare your soil for a healthy lawn out here in SoCal : Preparing your soil for a lawn

Please let us know if you have any furhter questions.

Posted 2013-06-28T23:05:51+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+