Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Attaching a screen door

Hi. I recently bought a house and it doesn't have any screen doors. Never having installed them before I was wondering what I should be looking for with the existing setup as to whether it is even possible to put a screen door on. The house is older (1920), so things aren't exactly 'standard'. So if I'm looking at the exterior door and frame, what should I be looking for when making this assessment?

thanks

Julie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-10T17:00:08+0000  by jrxxx jrxxx

Hi Julie,

We sell at The Home Depot several styles of screen doors.

Some mount on the outside door jamb and others such as security screen doors mount on the exterior wall of the building.

Take a picture of your exterior door opening and take it to your local Home Depot. Our millworks associates will show you which screen doors will work for your home.

Mike,

Posted 2013-06-10T18:24:05+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
thanks Mike!
Posted 2013-06-10T18:31:01+0000  by jrxxx

Screen (storm) doors typically attach to the moulding on the exterior the door.  In addition to taking pictures, you might want to take some measurements as well.  

Once you settled on a door, I would strongly suggest carefully reading the installation manual before you purchase the door (or at least open the box).  Some of the requirements are very specific and if you don't meet them, you won't be able to install the door.

Posted 2013-06-10T19:23:56+0000  by Adam444

Hi Adam444,

Good advice thanks for the input.

Mike,

Posted 2013-06-10T19:27:28+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+