Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

BEHR Premium Plus Faux Glaze

Hi,

I want to sponge paint my bathroom using the mixture of Behr Premium Faux Glaze and my desired color semi-gloss paint, according to instruction, I need to mix the glaze with paint at 4:1 ratio for application, my question is---since the the paint is diluted by the faux glaze, will the mixture change the the color of the paint?

Yan

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-18T04:22:20+0000  by yzhangjsxu yzhangjsxu

Yan,

The answer is yes and no. The faux glaze will merely make the  color more transparent and not change ITS color.  However,since it is transparent, it will alter the appearance of the underlying paint, giving a different appearance than either of the individual colors. This is why a sample board is important before commencing with the project. A sample board auditions both the color and the technique to be used in application before committing to the wall.

There are basically two ways of doing faux finishes:  you either apply the glaze randomly, as by sponging on, ragging on, etc. ,or, you apply the glaze to an area  and then partially  take it off with sponges, rags, brush dragging, etc.  It is in this second type that the effect of color change is more noticible, since the glaze completely covers the base color to some extent.

Either way, use the sample board with which to experiment. The great thing about faux finishes is  that the possibilities are almost endless.

For the beginner, the "ragging on" type techniques are much easier. You do not have to rush to keep the glaze from setting too fast on the edges. You can literally stop for lunch in the middle of the wall. If you got one aria too thin, you can simply go back and apply a little more glaze.

I personally find those techniques using more than one color glaze more interesting. Also, I like to vary the play of sheens. For instance, I will use a flat or low sheen paint for the base coat, but then use a high gloss paint to add to the glaze. This results is dull and glossier spots on the wall, giving an interesting effect when light bounces off the wall.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-08-18T05:00:32+0000  by ordjen
I bought a natural sea sponge for the project, that should also do the "ragging on" job, right?
Posted 2013-08-18T05:11:43+0000  by yzhangjsxu

Yan,

Natural sea sponges are  preferred to synthetic sponges because of  their random texture. Experiment with your technique, but generally the sponge is rotated with every "dab" to avoid a re-occurring pattern. Sponging is generally done with more of a dabbing technique, rather than a rolling technique.

I prefer to roll the glaze onto a secondary  surface, such as a piece of plywood, and then roll or dab the sponge onto it. This prevents the sponge from accidentally absorbing too much glaze at once and transferring a big "blob" to the wall. If the sponge gets overly saturated, wipe it with paper towels.

Roller trays don't make a good surface to dab onto because of the ribbed pattern stamped into the tray for strength. The sponge will pick up the rib depression and transfer it to the wall. Many plastic trays also have "dibble"  patterns on the rolling surface. Same problem,the pattern can transfer to the wall.

Good luck!

Posted 2013-08-18T05:59:55+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+