Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

BUILDING AN ENTRY DOOR WITH AN OVAL GLASS INSERT

I'm looking for any and all info/video on constructing an entry door out of oak veneered plywood with a glass insert.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-07T18:56:54+0000  by emrodozu emrodozu

I am not sure about how well it will work - due to the possibility of warping.

Most solid core doors are at least 1 inch thick and are constructed out of two side panels - connected with a top and bottom panel (usually covered with a veneer of same type wood).  This provides structure and support - which prevents warping.  The other consideration is how large the center window would be - which could weaken the overall structure and cause instability. All this can be resolved by either making a frame or covering both sides with the oak plywood or by adding an exterior frame out of oak. Of course - this will most likely alter the design.

As far as the glass center goes...after the hole is cut you will need to rout out the edge so that the glass will set firmly in place. The other side will have thin quarter round trim nailed in to secure the glass in place.

Hope this helps.

Posted 2012-07-09T18:12:20+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Thanks for the reply. I"m thinking of using flex trim from ZaGO for the oval covering. Any thoughts?

Posted 2012-07-18T21:55:57+0000  by emrodozu

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+