Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Bad finish after painting

I have been painting in my house mostly trim and doors When I finish painting especially the doors it has a rough finish and if you look at it from an angle it look grainy and it has lines I guess you could say it looks bad. I painted over an oil based paint but I did use primer. I have had to repaint some doors a couple of times. It looks better but its not a smooth finish and it still looks weird from a side angle. Could this be from using the wrong roller because I am repainting with a latex semi gloss paint or am I doing something wrong? All the stuff I have painted has a rough grainy feel. Any solutions or thoughts and what kind of roller should I use

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-06T07:43:34+0000  by larrylush larrylush

Welcome to our community Larrylush, 

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta. I'm sorry you are having trouble. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved for you! 

Lets first talk about the primer that you used. Was it oil based, or latex based? Hopefully it was oil based. If it was not, that may be one of the reasons your paint looks grainy and uneven. Even though you are using a latex based paint on top, you need to apply an oil based primer since you had oil based paint on there originally. If you don't do this, then your primer will bubble, therefore making your paint bubble. If you used oil based primer, there could be another reason as well. No fear! 

You are correct in thinking that the applicator that you use makes a big difference. For the roller, what nap did you use? If you used a nap that was too big, that could account for the issues that you are having. Typically for a door, if it is smooth, I recommend a 1/4" nap. This nap is smaller than one you would use for a wall (typically 3/8" nap) and will leave a smooth finish. The nap is important when painting. If you use a roller with a big nap (something that is really puffy) is will soak in a lot of paint. This will cause two things to happen, first it will use a lot of paint that will be wasted and, second, it will put a lot of paint on the wall that will ooze and make the finish uneven and leave an undesirable texture. 

If neither of these descriptions describe your situation, please write back and let us know. We will figure this out together! 

Christine 

Posted 2013-02-06T12:26:35+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

One of the most importnat thngs to remember when using acrylic paints is that the set time is VERY short  Unlike oil paints, which had several minutes before they set, acrylic paints will start skinning over in only a couple minutes. You must get the paint on there rapidly, smooth it out and then leave it alone! There is an overwhelming desire to keep brushing, thinking that the initial brush marks will be lessened. Acrylics will level out, but if you keep disturbing it, the paint film will have lost its solvent (water) and will no longer flow out and level.

To buy time, the use of a roller is highly advised to lay out a nice even film quickly. I personally prefer a 4 or 7 inch foam trim roller. These rollers lay out a very even film. Another advantage is, not having a knap, they cannot leave  roller lint on the surface.

The proper procedure to paint panel doors is to first do every panel, followed by the stiles and rails. The foam trim roller will get about 90 percent of the area in the panel, then the brush is used to get into the corners and then gently knock down the roller "dibble" texture. In the process of  brushing the paint into the corners, you will unavoidedly get paint on the face of the door. This paint must be wiped off as soon as the panel is done. If it is not, it will have formed permanent brush marks around the panel which will not later brush out!.

Do take the time to remove lock sets and either remove or tape off the hinges. Nothing looks more unprofessional  than paint on the hinges and hardware. Painting around them is also time consuming and results in more brush marks. When removed, a smooth, continuous paint film results.

Many primers do not actually do a good job of sealing the surface. Often two finish coats is neccessary to get an even sheen on the paint. New factory "primed" wood is absolutely terrible. It should be reprimed with a good primer and then given two finish coats of enamel.

Hope this has been of help

Posted 2013-02-07T06:44:51+0000  by ordjen

Freshly painted walls often look blotchy. The color is not uniform, that's why the sheen isn't consistent. This usually occurs over the holes and cracks you patched with a filler or drywall compound.

Posted 2013-02-19T14:54:49+0000  by belmanliving

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+