Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Bamboo Flooring

I just bought the Home Legend Bamboo Toast Wood Floor and was planning on installing it myself. This is going to be the first time I install any type of wood flooring. So I asked a couple of people who have done this before. One told me that I did not need to glue it down. That all I needed was the underlayment.

Then the second guy that I asked told me that I needed to glue the planks down. That underlayment was only for laminated floor.

Which person should I listen too?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-18T17:16:05+0000  by DennyM DennyM

Greetings DennyM and welcome to the community!

My name is George and I work for a Chicago area Home Depot.

Denny I’m sorry to hear about your experience. I would be more than happy to answer your questions but in order to give you a most accurate response I would need to know a little bit more about the product and conditions its going to be installed in.

Is this a solid bamboo or engineered bamboo flooring?

Where is this flooring getting installed; above or below grade?

What is this flooring going over to; plywood or concrete?

Where are you located?

George

Posted 2011-04-18T18:16:14+0000  by George_HD_CHI

The floor is the Home Legend Bamboo Toast that the Home Depot sells. It is 5/8" solid bamboo. And I am installing it on my first floor bedroom, over concrete. I live in very hot and humid Houston, TX.

Posted 2011-04-18T18:32:30+0000  by DennyM

You wouldn't use any underlayment, though I suppose you could glue down cork, then glue down the bamboo if you wanted some extra insulation/sound deadening.

You can find the install directions on the manufacturer's site:

http://www.homelegend.com/pdfs/Solid_Bamboo.pdf

Posted 2011-04-18T19:21:13+0000  by jcaino

Denny,

Home Legend Solid Floors may be installed on Concrete Slabs after the moisture content of the slab has been confirmed at less than 3 pounds per 1000 square feet per 24 hours and the appropriate nailing surface has been installed.

There are several methods by which this can be accomplished:

Plywood over concrete,” sleepers “and plywood over concrete and glue down method.

Detailed instructions can be found HERE.

I would recommend plywood over concrete technique with a 6 mill vapor barrier that extends to the wall perimeter and behind the baseboards.

Also please condition flooring for 72 hrs as instructed and tests your slab for the moisture content.

Posted 2011-04-18T19:33:13+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+