Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Banana trees in South Florida

Whenever I read the responses, I never know if what the people are saying is good for me - ZONE 10.  Could people please note what region you are in?  I hate planting edibles in my garden and getting no fruit or vegetables.  The best thing in my garden is my banana trees.  I got the first one from a neighbor, so I'm not sure of the species, but I believe it is a Dwarf Cavendish.  Looking at old pictures I can't believe I started with just one plant, that became two (gotta watch those pups!!) and now I have at least 4-5 trees and two are bearing fruit right now.  I almost always have bananas - and thankfully lots of friends who like bananas!  Anyway, my question is about the trees once they bear fruit.  I was told, and I have seen, that the tree dies once it has given fruit.  A week or so ago, I was talking to someone at Home Depot and he insists that the trees don't die, they will fruit forever.  Well, according to my experience with trees that literally fold up and die, that's not true.  There are always new babies coming up, that replace the ones who have died.  I don't want 20 trees, so I do pull out some of the little ones or they would take over my yard.  So, do the trees die or not?  Should I cut them down and remove the stumps?  At first I dug out the stumps too but someone told me to leave them to "feed" the others.  It looks messy with those dead stumps - it takes a long time for them to decompose.

So, who knows a lot about bananas?  I am happy with my yields - I love bananas and these are small and sweet and easy to give away.  I want to know if I should let nature take the trees, cut them down, dig them up, what should I do?  Thank you so much!!

Trish - Jupiter, Florida  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-06T22:51:50+0000  by planza126 planza126

Hey Trish.

I have been to Jupiter and I love your lighthouse there. I did an article on Growing Banana trees fairly recently. Give it a look by clicking on the orange link.

Posted 2016-11-10T14:23:12+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+