Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Basement Bath

Hi, we are currently gathering supplies to remodel a basement bathroom. The floor is concrete and the walls will be painted block. Right now it is drywall and papered. My question is about ceramic tile. We are planning to put porcelain tile on floor to ceiling, including tiling the shower ceiling. Can we apply the tile directly to the concrete walls and floor or should we use backer board first? Also, for the shower, I see there is a shower pan liner-should this go up the shower walls or some sort of rubberized barrier for extra measure against leaks? And should it go up and over the 4 inch wall under the shower door? If you have a good tutorial on how this should be done from start to finsh it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Pam Huff
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-19T04:50:52+0000  by phuff112 phuff112

Hello phuff112 and welcome to the Community.

You should cover your block with a layer of Wonder board or Durock because you should not be apply adhesive materials like Versabond over a painted concrete blocks.

To view DIY information about tiling and how to get a lifetime warranty, click on Custom Building Materials.

Here is a link to a PVC Shower Pan Liner Kit, adhesives and drains.

To view a video of how to install this product, click on the photo of the product you are interested in, click on the smaller boxes with the arrow, located under the photo of this product, on the Home Depot.com

If your floors do not have any paint, sealers or cut back residue you should be able to tile directly to the concrete.

I would suggest applying Red Guard water proofing and crack prevention membrane on your basement floor before you tile.

Apply 1 coat to inhibit tile and stone cracking due to minor surface movement

Apply 2 coats to waterproof floors and countertops

Left click on the photo of the product you are interested in at Home Depot.com.  Then detailed installation instructions and product specifications can be found by clicking on the orange arrow beside the word “specification” which is below the photo of this product on Home Depot.com.  You will find an installation and user guide in a box to the right.  Read this over carefully to see if this is right for you.

Thank you for your inquiry. Please keep me up to date on your progress.

Charlotte from The Home Depot How To Community.

Posted 2016-01-19T17:31:09+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+