Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Bathroom Rough In

Hey guys...I am new to this forum, but am very excited to have found this.  I have a question about my rough in plumbing for an bathroom addition.  I live in a Cape Cod style house and recently remodeled the upstairs.  I am now wanting to put a bathroom above the first floor bathroom and I have a couple quesitons about the plumbing. 

The room is 8 x 10 (Back outside wall is 10 ft). Right now I have my tub going on the left side along the back wall (Left Hand Drain) and then my water closet on the right side of the back wall and then my main stack is in the right wall.  I am wanting to have my tub drain meet right into my water closet at the 90 degree and then the two will run about 5 feet inot the main stack (with one 90 degree turn).  My question is...do I need to have a vent somewhere between my tub drain and the water closet so that when I flush the toilet it doesn't siphon the water out of the tub trap.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-10T13:51:35+0000  by JImperial JImperial

Hi Josh,

Quick answer to your question is YES - you do need a vent stack in between the tub trap and the main stack.

Normally vent stack is placed within 5-6 feet from the p- trap...However plumbing codes vary throughout the country and this may not be the case in your area so to avoid any discrepancies, you're should run this by your local building department first.

Vent should be placed after the p-trap (obvious) to avoid siphoning and, with horizontal pipe, connected above the drain centerline- to avoid waste entering the vent system.

Also, you mentioned that tub and the water closet are going against the 10 ft. back wall. Depending on the location plumbing codes prohibit water lines on the exterior walls. Here up north that's a big no-no , so with this said  I would run the hot and cold supply thru the floor close to the drain.

Put a clean-out tee somewhere along the line too, you will need it at one point.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any further question you may have.

George

Posted 2013-01-15T15:32:46+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+