Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Bathroom floor rotted / toilet flange question

I had a leak in the wax ring on my toilet, and it caused the floor around the toilet to rot.  I cut out the rotten section of flooring (18" long x 16" wide joists are 16" oc).  I have a PVC drain pipe and toilet flange.  The flange is the style that slips on over the pipe, and glues on. 

I'm going to pick up wood today for the floor.  My question is, do I need to remove the old toilet flange?  If I want to replace the rotten floor in one piece, I will need to remove the flange.  Can the section be replaced in 2 pieces, and "sandwich" the pipe under the flange?  Would that be strong enough? 

If I have to remove the flange, does anyone have advice on removal / replacement of the flange? 

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-06T15:05:39+0000  by tsherv tsherv

Hello Tsherv,

Welcome to the community.

I actually had to do this to one of my bathrooms a few months ago.

It would be best if you could replace the floor in one piece. Make sure that you add support under the joint in between the joists.

**Safety first:  Jamb an old towel or rag into the pipe so that you won’t be breathing the sewer gases and so that nothing can fall into it. **

The easiest way to get the old flange off is to use a small hacksaw and cut the metal flange off (if you have one) and then cut the bottom part of the flange in a couple spots. This will create a few smaller pieces which will be easier to get off. Then use a hammer to drive a flat head screw driver in between the 2 pieces of ABS (flange and pipe). You may need to cut it into more than 2 pieces to get it off. The ABS glue should break away and release the pieces.

Then install the new sub-floor and glue on your new flange. Make sure that you use some sandpaper or something to smooth and clean off the adhesive that is left from the old flange.

They do make replacement flanges that just slide in and screw down to the sub-floor. I have never used one but a lot of my customers have and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/THDProductCompare?errorURL=ProductAttributeErrorView&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&prodComp_0=202313197&prodComp_1=202274095&prodComp_2=100139480&N=5yc1v

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-02-06T22:55:48+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+