Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Bathroom is a disaster area, need to fix mold & water damage

I need to get an idea of what I need to fix my Main Bathroom. I have three boys who do not like to clean up after them selves, (go figure that one)and now I need to replace the wall board in the tub/shower . the tiles are dropping off like  little nasty scales, every day another drops off, I tryed to patch the area, but it out paced my efforts. 

I want to start by ripping out the current tub cleaning it up and putting it back. then ripping out the current cabinet/sink and replacing it with a single pedistile sink so they won't pile up odd junk .the toilet flushes verry slow, I recently had the septic pumped out, but its still slow to flush, and somtimes dosn't flush at all.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-06T18:09:26+0000  by Arumrill2872 Arumrill2872

Good afternoon Arumrill2872,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

As one of three kids growing up, the one bathroom we had to share growing up was indeed messy at times....so I understand where you are coming from.

From what you already told us, it sounds like you know and grasp what has to be done to successfully demo and redo your main bathroom.

Luckily for you, you found a great resource of information here on the community. Since this whole project would be difficult to tackle all at once, consider it like eating an elephant....one bite at a time. 

With that said, you can break down doing demolition, remodeling, and installation work in stages. And most of these individual projects have already been addressed on the community!

Taking out the current tub

Since the tiles are falling off the wall at a rapid clip, I'd say the safe way for this situation is an entire tearout and remodel of the tub. While I won't get into the details of tub removal, the links that I will provide that community experts have answered will already have the best solutions for you.  A few things I will go into though, is safety and material usage. Make sure that in each step of any tearing out and installing you use proper safety equipment for your eyes, face and hands. Also, you may want to consider renting out certain tools, such as a reciprocating (aka Sawzall) saw to cut through layers of tub and wall easier.

First off, our resident tear-out and install experts  and  have already great posts that go step-by step in demolishing your existing walls. I've also done one showing what supplies to obtain to do this. Depending on if you want to save your existing tiles will determine how you want to approach demoing the tub area. In most cases, its cheaper time and money wise to take everything out and start from scratch. Below are the links for more detailed information in removing your tub and tile walls, and then reinstalling tile.

If you have a cast iron tub that needs to be removed, refer to the link below for taking it out effectively:

Now depending on if you only want a section of the wall torn out will determine how far you want to repair it. If it is just a section of tile, we have a great post written by tile expert  on this subject. Click below to read more.

Replacing your tub/shower walls

This is where tile backerboard goes in, and whatever greenboard or existing boards need to go out. Tile backerboard and moisture barrier is crucial to stopping what is happening on your shower walls now from ever happening again. I did a post on the basics of tile backerboard that will give you added information to guarantee a long-lasting tile installation.

In terms of installing a new shower, , has once again provided us with great information on installation. In this post, he goes into details regarding plumbing and information regarding putting in a shower kit. If this is something you'd like to install new, refer to the post linked below.

Taking out the current sink vanity and replacing it with a pedestal sink

After getting the shower redone, now you can take out the current cabinet/sink. Just like the last project, this question of removing this fixture has been asked on the community. Our resident expert, , has already done a great step-by-step removal guide that you may find very useful. With any alterations to a bathroom fixture, be sure to cut off all supplies lines leading in and make sure the new fixture will hook up safely to the existing valves.  Click below to read more on this project.

You stated you would like to replace that with a pedestal sink so not to allow them to clutter up the space. Now that the old cabinet/sink is gone, now you are ready to install the pedestal sink. On our how-to section off our website, we already have a great guide when it comes to putting in this kind of bathroom sink.

Fixing your toilet-flushing troubles

I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert in this line of work. However, I found a great post written by another user here that had unpredictable issues with flushing such as yourself. In his post, , also talks about his situation and how he had great solutions with fixing his toilet flushing issues. He goes through using plungers to using quality pipe cleaners to solve the problem, linked below.

Hopefully with this information I have provided, this should give you some ideas for sprucing up your damaged bathroom. I'm sure other users can post and comment further on any of these subjects that may need more infomation. And as always, if you have any more questions or concerns, be sure to let us know here.

Before I go, I want to let you in on preventing mold and mildew for coming back again in your master bath, and anywhere else around the house. To stop mold forming, use Concrobium over bleach products to safely and sucessfully elminate the mold spores. It's safe to use and does not discolor or have harmful effects like bleach does. Shown in the picture and link below, it really is the best thing to kill, stop and prevent any and all mold in your bathroom.

Concrobium 32 oz. Mold Control

Again, please let us know if you have any further questions, and have a great day!

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-02-06T19:58:00+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+