Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Bathroom sink problem

I have been trying to replace my bathroom vanity. I finished installing everything, turned the water down, and noticed a leak running down the wall at the drain pipe. I tore everything back down and took out a tile to see the pipe. I posted a picture. I also have a few more from different angles if needed. The pipe coming from the wall seems to be in pretty bad shape. If anybody has any ideas about how to connect ANYTHING at all to this pipe, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Photobucket

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-15T16:45:19+0000  by raptchure raptchure

Hello raptchure and welcome to the community!

I have to say that pipe is indeed in the bad shape :smileysurprised:

It is hard to tell looking at the picture what kind of drain pipe is it this exactly.

Could you take one more look and tell me if this is galvanized or copper drain pipe?

Also is there any way you can make a small opening on the other side of the bathroom wall where that pipe is located so i can take a look at the connections?

Further please remove "rosette" (big round ring that is clamped on the pipe) it should come off easily and will expose the threads on the pipe (if galvanized) that are crucial when it comes to  vanity connection.

Please follow up with some pictures.

George

Posted 2011-03-15T18:29:23+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I have a problem with a bathroom drain pipe.  The rosette looks like it doesn't want to come off.  Is there a way to attach my sink to the drain pipe withou taking off the rosette?  Can I buy something that will enable me to stick plastic pipe in the wall drainpipe without having to resort to plumbing and possibly damaging the drain pipe.  My drain pipe looks like the one in the "Bathroom Sink Problem" post.    Arthurasaberger@gmail.com

Posted 2011-03-21T01:40:25+0000  by arthurasaberger

arthurasaberger wrote:

I have a problem with a bathroom drain pipe.  The rosette looks like it doesn't want to come off.  Is there a way to attach my sink to the drain pipe withou taking off the rosette?  Can I buy something that will enable me to stick plastic pipe in the wall drainpipe without having to resort to plumbing and possibly damaging the drain pipe.  My drain pipe looks like the one in the "Bathroom Sink Problem" post.    Arthurasaberger@gmail.com

Hello Arthur and welcome to the community.

Can you slip a plastic pipe directly in to the existing wall pipe really depend on the type of the pipe that you have right now.

There is a compression donut fitting that goes in to the cast iron hub and allows a plastic pipe to be slipped in without packing or using chemical mixtures.

Now, that is if what you have is a cast iron pipe with exposed hub.

If galvanized pipe is what’s there you would need to remove a rosette to allow O.D compression coupling to be clamped on.

I'm not aware of the I.D compression donut that works with galvanized 1-1/2 drain pipe.

If this is a copper drain pipe you can simply solder a bras or copper threaded male adapter.

Please take some pictures so I can further assist you, I might be able to help you with rosette removal.

George

Posted 2011-03-22T16:02:29+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+