Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Bathtub remodel question

Hello I have decided to remodel my bathroom and it involved removing my old standard 60" bathtub and installing a new one.

However now that I have finally managed to seat the new bathtub in, it is not balanced, it is slightly at a decline, I have been told to add wood shims till it is leveled, is this the right way to do it?

FYI, my new standard bathtub has a Styrofoam based attached underneath, which is formed at a slight decline, so i am guessing that's why the tub does not seat properly. Should i reduce the styrofoam to be balanced or add wood shims?

-the bathtub is in my second floor, the sub floor is solid and stable, so the floor is not the issue.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-18T01:22:17+0000  by Spaita Spaita

Hello Spaita,

Styrofoam backing is attached to the bottom of the tub to provide the extra support and to reduce the noise during use.

Wood shims are really not the best choice for you to level it out.

I would suggest installing the tub in the leveled (permanent) position and spaying this "window and door" low  expanding foam to the underside of the tub once it’s secured to the walls.

great stuff.jpg

This will fill all voids and provide an additional soundproofing and support.

Do not try to “shape” the foam once sprayed – this stuff is a bear to get off your hands. Instead spray it and cut the excess off once dried if needed.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

Posted 2013-03-18T15:18:04+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Thanks for the fast reply.  

I was told by one of the store associates to use the wood shims, it didnt sound too stable to me.  Thanks for your better suggestion. 

So this stuff I just spray it and let it harden.  Then cut off the excess.  This won't affect the pipes or such?

When I removed the old tub there wasn't anything securing it to the wall, except for the drywall and silicone,  should I attach it to the 3 walls surrounding it with nails or screws through the tub lip?

Posted 2013-03-18T22:53:55+0000  by Spaita

You're welcome Spaita.

Spray foam should only be sprayed directly under the existing foam backing that is attached to the bottom of the bathtub. A very minimal amount of foam should be used - too much foam can cause the bottom of the tub to bow.

When I think about this again...

For someone who has no experience with this product I think you may be better of using Structo-lite plaster.

structo-lite.jpg

Here How-to;

First install all of the drain components for the tub.

Next position the tub in to the opening and level the deck in both directions.

Once leveled, mark the final position of the underside of the deck by tracing a line on to the studs (see Figure 1,1a).

fig1.jpgfig.2.jpg

Remove the tub and install a 1x4 board on to the studs, keeping the top of the board leveled with the previously traced line. Don’t get confused trying to find a true 1x4 board, 1x4 is the nominal size- actual size is going to be 3-1/2" inches.

Position the tub again into the opening to assure its leveled when rested onto the 1x4's...

Remove the tub out of the opening and prepare the tools and materials needed to mix the Structo-lite.

Mix the Structo-lite following the manufactures instructions and spread enough to support the tub. Once installed into the opening tub will push out the excess material - so don’t be concerned you're applying too much material.

Secure the lip of the tub to the surround framing. Lip of the tub should be secured to the framing by driving the nail directly above the lip to where nail head catches the lip of the tub (see Figure 2).

nailing detail.jpg

Best type of nails to use for this is the hard dip galvanized or stainless steel roofing nails.

And that’s it Spaita ,I hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Posted 2013-03-19T14:31:04+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+