Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Bathtub sliding doors-how to remove?

I have an old home built in '82. Although I would love to eventually remodel the entire hallway bathroom, that is quite far away. I was thinking of removing the sliding doors attached to the tub. Does anyone know how to do this appropiately? I have no handy man experience at all. I was thinking I could put in a hotel style bar (that leads the shower curtain outward, instead. Please advise.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-13T20:31:20+0000  by mommad5 mommad5

Hi momad5, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man, welcome to the community.

The frames for bath tub sliding doors, are usually attached to the side wall on each end.

To remove the doors, lift up the door up and disengage the wheels from the track. Then remove the door and set it aside.

To remove the top, take a rubber mallet and gently tap on the bottom of the top rail, until it disengages from the side rails, usually it’s a friction fit, sitting on top of the side rails.

Next, take a utility knife, and score the caulk along the side rails to break the seal. Remove the screws holding the side rails in place,  take a stiff putty knife and gently remove the side rails and the bottom track.

The bottom track may be held in place by double sided tape, or caulk.

Finally cleanup the top of the tub and side walls with a good household cleaner, fill in the screw holes with caulk and you’re ready for the shower rod and curtain.

I hope this answers your question

Mike,

Posted 2011-07-14T17:47:43+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+