Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

Begonia "Nonstop"

I received a Begonia as a Mothers Day gift. It is a hanging basket. I have all sun in my front & back yard. How can I keep it alive?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-05-25T13:41:31+0000  by Glady Glady

Image result for home depot non stop begonia hanging basket

Greetings Glady,

Non-stop Begonia hanging basket…that is a lovely Mother’s Day gift!

Bright and showy, non-stop begonias in a hanging baskets will display color from now until the frost.

The tuberous stems of the begonia can be fragile if handled too much. Hang the plant in a sunny spot…morning sun, afternoon shade preferred…but sun all day is okay just water at soil level. Water droplets on the leaves of a begonia may cause damage if the sun rays hit, causing a magnification of the suns intensity which will lead to a burn, or scar.

My advice is to water early in the morning, wet the soil and check at the end of the day to see just how much water has evaporated, if the soil is completely dried out, if the plant is stressed….that will be the gauge that there is just too much sun for the plant to handle. Non-stops do not like to be over watered; the tuberous stems can hold moisture, so very wet soil can cause stems to rot at soil level and break.

The key with this plant is to monitor, observe your hanging basket; you can decide if it will do best on the front or the back porch.  

Non-stops deadhead themselves, they drop spent blooms once they begin to pass, just remember that the blossoms are sizable and will need to be swept up, think about that when selecting a location.

Feed it with a water-soluble, blossom booster, fertilizer every 10 days, once every 2 weeks. Follow the directors on the fertilizer label for the optimum results, use a watering can for application.

Enjoy you beautiful Mother’s Day gift all season long, with non-stop color! Once a frost is inevitable, the tubers of the Begonia can be stored for the winter in a dry, dark, place, and can be reintroduce in the spring for blooms the following season….it is a gift that keeps giving!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Begonias, there are so many varieties to choose from, once you have one, you will want more! 

Let us know if you have any other questions.    Maureen 

Posted 2017-05-25T15:39:51+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+