Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Behr Marquee Separating

Painted Behr Marquee on most of house (a light gray custom color, mixed at my local store).  Surface is pre-primed LP Smart Siding.  Three days later I am trying to paint the trim with Marquee stock white and it is like pouring oil on water.  It goes on fine, then separates into blotches. I have contacted my local store and they called the Behr rep (Corey).  He said to contact Behr technical services, which I did.  They indicate that it might be too much pigment in the paint for the base used (9450)???   Pigment was added by the computer and if it needed a different base, the program should have told them.

Now what?  If trim paint won't stick to this, how do I know that it will stick to the primered siding?  Will I have to have the whole house soda blasted, then primed and painted again?  Who will pay for This?  Or, will I have to wait a few years and watch the paint peel off?
Paint
Paint Video

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-19T19:34:37+0000  by RichieRemodel RichieRemodel

Tried posting a picture and video, but they don't show?
Posted 2017-09-19T19:36:02+0000  by RichieRemodel
Video: http://tinypic.com/r/2pp0qxd/9

Picture:  http://tinypic.com/r/15hxwuh/9
Posted 2017-09-19T19:45:00+0000  by RichieRemodel
I don't work for Home Depot but from what you're saying it was very obvious when you painted the trim that something was wrong.  Did you see anything like that when you painted the body of the house?  If not, it's probably not going to be a problem.  You likely just got a bad can of paint, it happens.

In any case, I suspect that Behr's warranty is just about like every other warranty, it covers the product only.  Any incidental expenses, like the labor to repaint the house is on you.  As an aside, you do understand that Home Depot just sells the paint, they don't warrant it.
Posted 2017-09-19T21:19:40+0000  by Adam444
So, the "crawling" or pulling apart of the paint is only happening on the trim lumber? I would suspect that something is different about the trim stock. Is this happening everywhere on the trim or just in some location? When paint pulls back like this, often there is something on the surface which makes it pull back, such as oil of silicones.

Try painting a little of the siding paint on the trim to see if it too pulls apart. If it does not, the culprit IS probably the white trim paint. If there is some pollutant on the trim surface, both paints  would pull back.
Posted 2017-09-20T17:31:48+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+