Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Behr Premium Deck Over

Would like some "reviews" on the Behr Premium Deck Over Product

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-14T12:46:46+0000  by momofeveryone momofeveryone

ACM, thank you for posting.

I'm so sorry to hear about the disappointment with the product but would be happy to help you with this.

I do see in the product description it states the product is slip resistant & one of the product reviews on the Behr site mentions that the product has some 'grit' to it, but we can definitely reach out to the store you purchased it at to advise of your disappointment with the prodcut & help get this resolved for you.

Please send me an email with your full contact info, when the product was purchased, if you still have your receipt, and what location it was purchased at. We will follow up with you within 48 hours of receiving your email.

Thank you very much.

- Nicki

Posted 2013-07-30T17:39:07+0000  by THDCustomerCare

Do not buy this product until you speak to BEHR customer service and ask about the paw print problem. If you dig deep on the internet you will find similar complaints. We applied ours in June. We followed all instructions and were impressed with the final outcome. We did not walk on it for several days. But the first time our dog walked on it with wet feet (not really muddy) it left prints that reacted with the paint. The entire deck is covered with pale paw prints now. They won't wash off and we tried every possible cleaner.  BEHR is giving us a full refund on the paint but our considerable time and labor is gone and now we have to figure out how to fix it.paw prints Deckover

Posted 2013-08-14T17:27:54+0000  by LTW

I applied deckover, at first was very impressed by it. Applied 2 coats, did not walk on it for 24 hours. Today it has areas that look washed out, which is a problem another bogger complained about on another site. My deck looks a mess, just like his. Has an almost faded look in spots, in both areas that have sun, and shade. Need a remedy asap......

Posted 2013-10-24T21:37:29+0000  by zoman
Just finished putting on the first coat.  Terrible results. Bubbles are forming as the sun is starting to hit some areas of the porch. Large (over a 1/2 inch) bubbles.  And this is why. Remember when you were a kid and painted something with enamel paint but the paint was too thick and formed bubbles and ruined the model you spent weeks building.   Same principle.    If you notice, this is a very thick paint.  It also has a very high level of ammonia.  This keeps the paint fluid.  When the ammonia evaporates, the paint polymerizes ( I am a chemist).  What is happening is that as the paint dries and hardens, a skin forms over the liquid paint below it.  Kinda like an old can of paint.   If the sun hits the paint before the paint is completely dry, that spot gets hot and the ammonia evaporates very quickly but cannot escape because of the hard surface layer (the skin).  The ammonia gas then lifts the skin off the liquid paint below.  So unless you are going to be painting on a cloudy day when it is cool out, do not use this paint.  I've just gone over the paint with a wire brush to scrape the bubbles off and I'll sand it later and use a different paint.   The chemists at Behr need to rework this. Do not buy this product!
Posted 2014-07-03T20:29:53+0000  by gjg
Summer of 2014:
Power washed deck,  Let dry, Painted with Deck Over let dry, painted another coat.  Stayed off my deck during peak swimming season so paint could cure. Total cost $350 for 2 five gallon containers of product.
Spring 2015 there is so much paint peeling off that it is clogging my skimmer on my pool. I could cry. All that work.....all the time wasted....all the clean up needed to put me back into the position of where I was BEFORE i made the mistake of buying "Deck Over"

The deck looks horrible.

Please advise.

Perhaps the genius who invented this expensive confetti has a power-washing business on the side.

I know sarcasm isn't the answer but I am mad.

Who do I call or write to to get relief?

Posted 2015-06-11T15:28:41+0000  by DLLLG
Sorry to see folks are disappointed with this product.

It seems like some folks are putting this on brand new, pristine decks. I would not do that. The product is aimed more at guys like me, with decks that frankly have seen better days. It fills and coats very well, offering a protective shell over porous, distressed wood.

The only peeling I have seen is in a few areas where I had worked some wood filler into gouges. That wood filler likely had not cured completely when I hit it with the product. A couple areas likely had some dirt or were just not painted adequately. Our Wisconsin winters are cold and our summers are hot and humid. I can forgive the product for falling short of absoute perfection. We also scrape furniture and grills over the deck and have a dog who could probably stand to have her nails trimmed more frequently.

Other than that, the product seems fairly bullet proof, and I plan to touch things up bit by bit as needed. I'd also like to find some beat up wooden lawn furniture and hit that with the Deck Over as well. 

As stated, this is probably not the product for that beautiful new deck you just sanded. It is for those of us trying to get additional years out of a deck that simple stain and sealant will not help.
Posted 2015-07-30T01:29:35+0000  by HAMFIST
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+