Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Behr Premium Plus Satin Enamel and paint is peeling off

Help, paint is peeling off like glue would come off from your hand. Small wooden dresser with varnish sanded off, used tack cloth to get off all depris.  What did I do wrong? Should I of not used Kilz2 primer? I primed with 2 coats, drying time allowed between coats. I let dry overnight then applied 1st coat of Behr Satin Enamel. I used a small roller and purdy 2 1/2" brush. Looked good but wanted a better finish. Allowed to dry overnight. I was lightly sanding with 220 grit and paint felt sticky on sand paper. I never thought too much and wiped down with tack cloth. I applied 2nd coat of paint, allowed to dry overnight. It is peeling off worse than before. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-22T11:28:57+0000  by JoJo58 JoJo58

Hello JoJo58,

Your question, "Should I not use Kilz2 primer," most likely identified part of the problem.

Kilz2 is water-based and will not establish a firm grip on varnish and other oil-based coatings.

Oil-based primers, like Kilz Original or Zinsser Cover Stain, derive their utility and name "Cover Stain" from your project ... covering previously stained and clear coated surfaces.

These oil primers bond oil-to-oil with the existing finish, creating a strong bond.

Water primers bond water-to-oil, making a weaker bond that will easily scratch-off.

TACK CLOTH NOT FOR DIYers

Residue from tack cloth has frequently been the culprit when DIYers experience adhesion problems.

Tack cloth is made with a combination of mineral spirits and paraffin ... both repel water-based products and their residue will prevent water-based paints, primers, and clear coats from adhering.

I strongly recommend that my DIYers stay away from tack cloth ... use a dry terry towel and a shop-vac

to remove sanding dust.

You'll increase your chances for success significantly by simply leaving tack cloth out of your tools!

Posted 2013-08-22T14:09:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

may you suggest to me the best way to strip off this paint that I have already applied 2 coats. Then I should use an oil based primer. The Kilz I used is on bare wood and I do not believe I can remove it all.

Posted 2013-08-22T16:08:48+0000  by JoJo58

Hello Again JoJo58!

When you visit your Hardware Associate, they can show you palm sanders and the related sandpaper.

You'll notice that the backing on the sandpaper is two colors: red and blue.

The blue paper is non-binding and will release the sanding residue much easier than the red paper; which tends to "gum up" when sanding painted surfaces.

Use 150- or 220-grit paper to remove the layers.

Lower number paper may cut into the surface, but these "finishing grits" will remove the layers without scoring the surface.

Once removed, use a dry terry towel and/or shop-vac to remove the sanding dust.

Then start again with oil-based primer and finish with two coats of paint.

NOTE:

Since you're mid-project, take your paint back to The Paint Pit and have them shake it again before beginning.

Posted 2013-08-22T18:42:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer that has been refinishing furniture for over 3 decades now. Because there is no way to know the exact chemical composition of the paint or varnish that was 'originally' used on a wood furniture piece (oil or water-based), there's no way to know what (paint, varnish or primers) will stick to it. In other words, the previous surface has to be completely removed and I've found that strippers do the BEST job with the least amount of effort. Once the previous varnished or painted surface has been chemically stripped off, then you can lightly sand with a fine grit paper to give the surface a little 'tooth' for your first coat of paint to adhere to. ('Tooth' being scratching the surface as well as raising some fine wood particles. Your paint will soak into the scratches and grab a hold of the raised fine wood particles.) Vacuum any sanded residue and wipe down with any alcohol-based sanitary or cleaning wipes. Apply your first coat of paint (be sure to hand-stir the can of paint right before applying) and let it dry overnight. LIGHTLY SAND AGAIN to remove any of that 'tooth' previously mentioned. NOW the surface is ready to recieve two good coats of paint (oil or water based) that will stick well and last for years.

My best advice concerning tack clothes is to throw them away and never buy another one.

Posted 2013-08-23T10:16:06+0000  by Scorpioforu

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Posted 2013-08-23T10:39:18+0000  by JoJo58

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+