Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Behr Ultra Paint and Primer In One - Ceiling Paint

Yes, Behr has added another new product to their line of paint and primer in one, called Ultra ... Ceiling Paint.

BehrUltraCeilingPnt.jpg

It has the same high-hide properties, blocks stains, and comes with the mildewcide already in the can.

I recently replaced a ceiling, and using this product over new sheetrock made fast work of what usually is a three coat job.

Low VOC (odor) and water clean-up leaves little more you could desire in a ceiling paint.

It is a touch more expensive, but I love how fast I got on and off the job ... the labor cost I saved far exceeded the small additional cost of the paint.

Ask your Paint Associate to discuss the benefits of using Ultra Ceiling Paint.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-08T17:46:38+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

I've worked with Behr Ultra Plus Paint and Primer about 4-5 times now, and I really like the way it goes on and covers fantastic - even better than some other pro paint brands that I've worked with.  I will have to try out the ceiling paint too!  The only thing I wish was different was the drying time - I like how with certain primers you can apply a topcoat in 1 hour after painting, and I wish more paints were this way. Many times, like with Behr, the time you have to wait is many hours, sometimes up to 6!!!  This is way too long when I'm working a job for a customer!  I would not make any money waiting around that long or coming back the next day to apply another coat.  Plus, it would be a big inconvenience to the customer to have them wait  that long with their doors and cabinets masked up when I'm rolling ceilings and walls.  Wish Behr could get the time to recoat down to 1-2 hours.  Sometimes I have no choice but to apply a second coat once the 1st coat has set up, dry, and is not longer tacky.  I wanted to ask you PatlnPaint, what are the possible reporocussions that can happen when applying a second coat too soon, or not waiting the recommended time???  I've seen many painters, even pro painters on job sites start applying a second coat as soon as the 1st coat is dry. 

Posted 2012-01-18T06:33:51+0000  by mgonzo

Hey MGONZO,

Thanks for the Call Out!

Universal tints add color to the binders ... making paint out of tinting base.

Universal tints are also thinning agents ... not intentionally used to thin, but having thinning properties.

As a result, the more tints you add to a can, the thinner the paint and the longer it takes for each coat to dry.

That's the primary reason we recommend waiting four to six hours between each coat of deep base paint ... we often dispense as much as sixteen ounces of universal tint to make a deep base color.

If you do not wait four to six hours with deep base colors, the second coat will re-wet the slow-drying first coat and result in streaks.

Mid-tone colors require slightly less time to recoat and Off-white colors require even less.

The newer "primer and paint" products, like most primers, tend to dry just a bit faster.

NOTE: If you ever hear, "Your paint didn't cover at all." Ask what base (the number is on the can) they used and if they allowed their Paint Associate to tint their paint. I have one or two customers each month that pick up a can of tinting base and go straight to check out. They always come back for help and I always take time to walk them through the aisle and show them the different tinting bases. Finally, I explain that tinting bases are only binders, not paint, without tint.

Every single Pro Painter I've assisted this way leaves with confidence in me, becomes a return customer, leaves with words of gratitude, and always says hello when they're back in the store.

These same Pros frequently call for help with problem projects.

You know MGONZO, you've gotta love customers who come to The Paint Pit just to see you!!!

Posted 2012-01-19T15:23:26+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

By far the most complaints I have fielded concerning paint failure, concern colors made from deep bases. I am not a paint chemist, but I find it hard to believe that the majority of those failures don't  stem from dumping in a coke can full of ethylene glycol ( the  liquid of the tints) into the that bucket of paint. After all, do the tints in the machines ever dry by themselves? Nope!

Factory mixed colors do not exhibit these traits to the same extent. Why? Because the dry pigments go directly  into the batch with no need for large amounts of glycol. Most painters have experienced that the same factory mixed color will cover better than the machine tinted paint. Less glycol means more room for quality resins and pigment.

Back in my contracting days, I used a lot of Benjamin Moores products. BM had a couple dozen stock exterior colors. I remember one job where I grabbed a common batch of a stock color, but as luck would have it, I ran 1 gallon short. I had a gallon mixed up to match, as I had wiped out all the stock at the paint store. The color matched perfectly, however, the color did not cover in one coat, as had the factory mixed color!

I am afraid it is one of the trade-offs we have had to accept to be able to have literally thousands of colors available to us, rather than just a few dozen stock colors..

Posted 2012-01-20T03:14:42+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+