Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Behr deck over vs weatherproofing

I have a gazebo that I applied one coat of Behr weatherproofing stain on. When I got another gallon from the store for the second coat I was given Behr deck over instead of weatherproofing. I only realized this after I reached home and it is not returnable. Can I apply the deck over on top of an existing coat of weatherproofing stain? What's the difference between the two? Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-22T02:23:28+0000  by sumantp sumantp

Sumantp,

Home Depot actually has an extremely liberal returns policy and will certainly take back a tinted stain where confusion resulted in a wrong product being bought.

Whereas DeckOver could be put over the Weather Proofing product, ideal would be to stick with a second coat of the Weather Proofer, as per instructions on the can. The DeckOver is a heavy bodied, solid based stain which contains texturing beads for traction in wet weather. It is more suited for deck walking surfaces. It would also totally obscure the grain of the wood.

Best Answer

Posted 2015-03-22T05:11:09+0000  by ordjen
Thanks ordjen!
Posted 2015-03-22T06:53:15+0000  by sumantp
Couldn't agree more with Ordjen, sumantp!

As it exists today, The Home Depot return policy would certainly allow you to return stain mixed into the wrong product.

HOWEVER:
I would not recommend applying Deck Over on a coated deck surface; like your deck.

Instead, I would use Behr's stripper to remove the existing finish.

Behr's written guidelines are below:

How To Prepare a Coated Deck Surface

Step 1

Using a roller or nylon/polyester brush, apply BEHR PREMIUMĀ® Stain & Finish Stripper No. 64 to a small section of the coated wood deck surface. Reapply the stripper as needed to keep the surface wet for at least 15 minutes. Do not allow the product to dry.

TIP:
Most deteriorated finishes will start to lift after 15-30 minutes.

Step 2

Using a stiff bristle broom or brush, scrub the section after the finish begins to lift.

Step 3

Thoroughly rinse the surface area with clean water using either a garden hose with a high-pressure nozzle or a pressure washer.

Step 4

Repeat the process of applying product and scrubbing in small sections until all peeling coating has been completely removed.

Step 5

Apply BEHR PREMIUMĀ® All-In-One Wood Cleaner No. 63 to clean and neutralize the surface prior to coating.

Posted 2015-03-24T14:51:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+