Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Best Time To Buy New Appliances

We all want to get the best price on new appliances, but since we make major purchases so infrequently when is the best time to buy? Most consumers don’t think about new major appliances until one of theirs fails, then panic sets in and a new replacement is purchased. If your refrigerator has failed and it's 100 degrees outside, there is no time to shop around. The key to the best bargains is to plan ahead and look for deals.

So How Do You Get the Best Deals?

Plan Ahead:

Modern appliances are more efficient but less reliable than older models, if your current appliance is more than 5 years old now’s the time to start looking for a replacement. Washers and Dryers last 6-8 years on average and Refrigerators 8-10 years.

The ice maker failed on my 11-year-old refrigerator, the refrigerator still worked ok, but I knew the end was coming and I didn’t want to live without ice. I shopped around and purchased a new refrigerator on sale at a significant discount during the July 4th weekend. I saved over $1000.00 dollars off the regular price and I had my old refrigerator to use while I awaited delivery of the new one. As it turned out the new refrigerator was on back order and I had to wait three weeks for delivery, I am glad I planned ahead and had the old one to use in the meantime.

Watch for New Model Introductions:

When an appliance manufacturer introduces a new model often the older discontinued model is offered at a significant discount. The manufacturer wants to make room for the new models in the warehouse and deals can be had. New models usually only have minor differences from the older model and usually cost more.

New model refrigerators often appear in the spring and summer, other appliances in the fall, usually September or October.

End of the Year Deals:

Manufacturer’s often have to pay an inventory tax and the end of the year and thus they will offer blowout prices on current inventory rather than pay tax on them. This is one reason why sales on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) is a good time to buy. Black Friday sales start earlier every year.

This year Black Friday Deals will start at the beginning of November and go until early December.

Holiday Weekends:

Major holidays have long been the reason for retailers to offer sales for many decades, major appliances are no exception. Every major holiday is an opportunity to move out the product and retailers know how to bring the shoppers in. The biggest sales are on the July 4th and Thanksgiving weekends, these are the two best times to buy. Other big holiday weekends are Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Shop The Internet:

Internet retailers such as Amazon, Home Depot and others offer appliance deals often, manufacturers encourage such deals as they always want another sale. Watch out for catches though, sometimes delivery is at an additional cost and most internet retailers do not offer haul away service. Home Depot is an exception we offer free delivery and optional haul way service on all of our internet sales.

End of the Month Sales:

Many appliance dealers have quotas, if sales for the month lag they can lose valuable manufacturers incentives, which often can mean the difference between making a profit for the month or not. Month End can be a good time to get a deal.

Scratch Ding and Dent, Returns and Clearance Specials:

Sometimes things go wrong and an item is returned, it’s the wrong color, its’ too big for the space or the customer just doesn’t like it. These returned items often result in significant discounts and a good deal for someone who can live with a little wear and tear. Ask your salesperson what’s available, you might be surprised at the deals you can get. I recently purchased a brand new wall oven at 50% off the original price!

So Now We Know When to Buy, So Where Do We Go?

The Home Depot offers one of the most extensive lines of appliances available, Brands include Admiral, Amana, Bosch, Roper, Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire, Electrolux, LG, Samsung, Kitchen Aid, Premier, Vissani, Magic Chef, GE, Hotpoint, Danby, Summit, Igloo, Haier, Midea, Bullet, Kegco, SPT, Keystone and Commercial Cool. We’re competitively priced and our delivery service personnel are friendly and efficient.

How About Warranties?

HHH

Now that you’ve found the deal, how about warranties? New appliances offer only a one-year warranty and appliance reliability is on the decline. The Solution, the Home Depot Protection Plan, any appliance purchased from the Home Depot is eligible and the plans are comprehensive and very reasonable. Ask your sales associate for the details.

Tips for a Hassle Free Appliance Purchase:

1.  Plan Ahead, no appliance lasts forever, keep track of your appliances age and condition, shop around before it dies, decide on the replacement you want and look for deals.

2.  Check your warranties, if the warranty is up on your appliance, now’s the time to start looking for a new one, spend the money on a new unit instead of repairing the old one.

3.  Watch the calendar, Holiday weekends are the time to buy. Prices are significantly lower on holidays don’t wait if the deal is right.

4.  Shop the internet, all the major retailers have web sites surf the web and you will save money.

5.  If you need something Now, consider returned, open box or closeout models, these are often goods deals all year round.

6.  Buy an extended warranty such as the Home Depot Protection Plan, they offer peace of mind and protection against unexpected and expensive repairs.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-03T18:31:02+0000  by Mike_HD_OC Mike_HD_OC

Topic
Categories+