Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Best Waterproof Sealer for a glittered glass vase (that I want to put water in)

I recently made some vases using mod podge and glitter to set it inside of the vase. The only issue is trying to seal the glitter and glue in place to avoid water damage to the look of the vase. I have looked up so many different sealers but no luck on finding the right one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-27T22:01:52+0000  by nat528 nat528

Hey nat528,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

You are finding too many solutions to you wanting to submerge your glittered vase due to the simple fact that really no one has attempted (at least that I've heard of) this type of project.

It is a really great idea though I must say! So essentially what you need will have to function to prevent water from damaging it as well as providing a clear coat. I'm assuming the glass vase is completely clear, and most clear coat waterproofers usually give a somewhat fogged appearance on clear glass.

With that said, you'll need to experiment and try items that will hold up the glitter. It would of been more effective to set the glitter outside the vase, but I'm aware you wanted that effect inside of it instead. 

One item you can try to use is shown below and linked here. It's one of the very few clear sprayable coatings that can be applied over PVC and metal, which is just as difficult to coat as glass is. 

Be aware that while this is clear; it is also a rubberized formula. So spray lightly and try a small area or another glass vase to see if it will give you the results you'll need. 

While there are other clear sealers out there and ones we sell, this is really the only one that would work on it without issues. You can try a multi-purpose can of NeverWet if you wish, but a majority of those are now rated for fabrics.

Let us know what your next step will be, and if we can assist you further.

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-27T23:53:39+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hello nat528,

Rust-Oleum LeakSeal is not submersible, according to Debbie at Rust-Oleum Technical Support.

It is among a larger class of products that may, "be exposed to periodic moisture, but will peel off if submersed."

Be very careful with the polyurethane or coating you select for submersion in water ... those not labeled "Marine" will not survive submersion.

At this time, The Home Depot does not sell marine polyurethane or other coatings suitable for submersion.

Marine-grade clear coats simply are not among our usual offering, either at the store or online.

The product you seek will most likely be marine-grade polyurethane found at marine supply stores.
Posted 2016-01-28T13:22:07+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+