Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Best method to properly insulate attic

Hello HD Community - I just recently purchased a home and want to properly insulate the attic.  Is my train of thought correct here?  I plan to seal and caulk any air gaps or leaks first.  I will install plastic soffit vents to keep air flow moving, before blowing cellulose directly on top of existing plywood.  There is a lot of plywood and I don't think removing it will prove it's worth over time.  Thoughts?  Does this all make sense?  I have included some photos for reference.  Thanks!  Attic pics
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-02T15:37:20+0000  by MarcusK MarcusK

Hello MarcusK, and welcome to the Community! 

Congratulations on the purchase of your home! Attic insulation is often overlooked and a great place to start insulating your home. Make sure there are soffit baffles, see red circle in picture below. These baffles allow the unobstructed air to flow from the outside soffit vent into the attic then out the ridge vent or vent near the peak. I would not remove the existing plywood, just cover it with insulation, either roll insulation or blown-in. 

If you decide to go with blown-in insulation, make sure to place "Loosefill Insulation Rulers" (see picture below) in several places to easily see how much you are adding and to achieve the proper level of insulation. 

Here are a few links to get you started:

Posted 2017-02-02T17:06:08+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+