Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Best underlayment for floating cork floors over concrete slab

Good morning,

I am in the process of installing floating cork flooring over the concrete slab in my house, and I am wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for the right type of underlayment to purchase to protect the cork panels from moisture in the concrete.  I have read that it is extremely important to lay a moisture barrier of at least 6 mil, but that a cushion-type underlayment is not needed if the flooring has it built it.

If anyone has a good recommendation on a product they have used for a moisture barrier underlayment, I would highly appreciate. I am hoping to find a product that won't break the bank too much, as the cork itself was quite pricey.

Thanks!

L

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-25T15:40:14+0000  by LCasa LCasa

Hello LCasa and welcome to the Community.

If I understand you correctly your cork flooring already has a cushion backing.  If that is the case than all you would need is a 6 mil. vapor barrier and tape for  the seams.

Here is a selection of some of the 6 mil vapor barrier available at the Home Depot.

Make sure your concrete is ready for this install and reading the preparation test and installation guides for your flooring product. 

Left click on the photo of the product you are interested in at Home Depot.com.  Then detailed installation instructions and product specifications can be found by clicking on the orange arrow beside the word “specification” which is below the photo of this product on Home Depot.com.

See example below

You will find an installation and user guide in a box to the right. 

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-05-26T16:38:57+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+