Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Blended brick to one color brick?

Please see the attached picture of the brick wall I have. Some of the bricks seemed like they are painted. I looked up on online brick stores and they call it a blend color. It is a 1964 house and maybe that is the style then and may be even now. How can I make all the bricks the same color without messing up the grout? To, one of those standard brick colors - red/ran/grey? Thanks.

3073696_15_7.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-22T23:12:04+0000  by Yuv Yuv

Hello YUV!

Thanks for the photo!

There are several different ways you can complete your project.

1) The easiest way is to paint to paint the entire wall, including the grout/mortar white. Then go back over each individual brick, painting only the surface of the brick your desired color.

2) I have also seen the project done the reverse way ... paint the entire wall, including the grout/mortar, the desired brick color and then painting the grout white.

If you choose one of these two methods, you'll use Behr Masonry, Stucco, and Brick Paint. This product comes in a flat and a satin finish, and both are self-priming on your surface.

Behr Masonry, Stucco, and Brick Paint.jpgThis is the product should you choose this method.

Brick will commonly have little or no sheen, so the flat version will reproduce a more natural appearance.

3) If you have a very steady hand, you could try painting individual bricks without coating the entire wall, but in my experience, very few painters have the ability to cut-in each brick without getting paint on the grout/mortar. Since this material is very porous, any paint that leaks onto the grout/mortar will tend to leach into the surface and spread ... not a desirable look.

Finally, there are other products that could be used to dye the mortar and brick, but these products are very fluid and will be hard to control. If you'd like to pursue this option, write back and we'll dig into it for you.

Posted 2012-02-23T15:34:44+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Yuv,

If you want to keep the mortar completely natural looking, first give it a coat of clear acrylic concrete sealer.Should you subsequently get a little paint or stain on the mortar, you will then be able to wipe it off before it gets absorbed into the very porous mortar. If you use the low sheen version, it should not show on the face of the brick should some get onto it.

As to applying paint or stain to the brick with a minimum of mess, try using one of the small touch up rollers. These will allow you to paint to the edge of the brick without having a ridge of paint hit the mortar.

Your situation is somewhat unusual in that you have so many strong colored bricks intermingled. I have, in the past, glazed a complete fireplace to alter the color of the homogeneous brick. I don't see why individual bricks could not also be glazed, stained, or painted to mute some of those strong colors.

There are also companies which specialize in altering both interior and exterior brick color. You might want to "google" to see if such a service is available in your area.

A couple other thoughts:

Your brick is somewhat soiled with fireplace soot. This can normally be cleaned with the use of TSP. The secret to washing porous surfaces is to wash from the bottom up. This prevents soiled water from running down the dry,  porous brick and making permanent streaks. I like to use a garden sprayer to apply the TSP solution and have clean water and a sponge ready to mop up the dirty water as it comes down. Any old fashioned scrub brush helps loosen the really soiled areas. I would remove your glass doors during this process. TSP can actually etch glass! You will also want to tape plastic close to the brick with 2 inch masking tape to protect your carpet.

The gold finish of your fireplace doors is somewhat dated looking. I recently painted mine with RustOleums' High Temperature Paint in the matte flat finish. Just scruff sand the surface first with fine sandpaper.

Posted 2012-02-24T01:53:54+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+