Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Blowing basement air up through the ceiling

Familiar problem of uneven air temperatures in different floors of our house. We have a basement with an exposed ceiling. The basement is always very cold (even uncomfortably cold) in the summer. 

I know nothing about HVAC, but I would like to cut a hole in my main level floor, insert a small vent cover, and then in the basement install a fan that will blow basement air through that vent. (Even when the AC or fan is not running.) Because the main floor's floor/joints are exposed, it would be easy to access and install.

Is this a thing that people do? I know there are vent booster fans that you can put into a floor vent and plug in, which would work, although I'd prefer the fan to be in the basement. I'd also prefer it to be smaller than a traditional rectangular floor vent, but would a 3-4" round vent be big enough to have any effect? I'm tempted to just wing it from parts I can find at the store, but would love some input from experienced people (since I have no clue what I'm doing...).
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-08-04T19:30:30+0000  by bradnelson bradnelson

Hi Bradnelson,

Installing a single 3-4 inch round vent in the floor will make virtually no difference in the room temperature on the upper floor. Even installing a fan will make little difference.

That is why HVAC systems have 10 to 15 inch ducts and powerful fans to circulate air. The moving conditioned air is what cools or heats a room.

Mike
Posted 2017-08-07T19:52:34+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
What if I cut a hole in the floor and installed this vent fan? 
It could be turned on and just blow air directly from the basement.
Posted 2017-08-09T20:15:32+0000  by bradnelson
Hello Bradnelson, and welcome to the Community!

Have you checked the basement to see if there are any open vents? It's possible that there are  open vents are keeping the basement cold and because cold air sinks, that air is staying down there. Check the duct-work for leaks and use duct tape to seal off those leaks. 

Angelo
Posted 2017-08-10T13:14:37+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+