Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Blown in vs batt insulation

Hi, 

I want to insulate the ceiling in my garage (which is also my work room and studio). It's a flat ceiling with joists about 16inches apart. Everything I read is that blow in insullation is A LOT more expensive than doing batts. But when I calculated the price of each (including how many bags I would need, masks, gloves, blower rental, hammer tacker because my staple gun just broke) using blown in insullation is only about $15 more expensive. 

So, my questions are, are there hidden costs in the blow in insulation? Do the blowers for rent at home depot work for blowing up onto a ceiling from below? Is it something I would have to put sheet rock over quickly afterwards or could I wait a few weeks to months? All of the reviews I read said it was super easy to do yourself (as long as you had a helper), is that true? It seems like I must be missing something... 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-13T22:01:16+0000  by allfox allfox

Hello AllFox!

Welcome to The Community!

The joists you describe sound like they are open ... no ceiling in place, just open joists.

If that is correct, you will not be able to use AtticCat Blown-In Insulation ... it has no adhesive properties, rather it relies upon gravity to hold it against the ceiling below.

So, you have two choices:

1) Hang batts between the joists; or

2) Install the ceiling and blow into that space as you assemble or from above later.

In my experience, the first would be your better choice.

The link above contains a description of the Blown-In process.

Your associate in Building Materials can show you everything required to hang batts.

Posted 2013-02-14T14:19:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+