Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Boston Plant of the Week: Creeping Phlox

IMG_1226.JPG

A magic carpet has arrived in Boston; it is showing all its beauty throughout the city in shades of pinks, purples, blues and white! This spectacular ground cover is the true welcome mat to the spring! 

One of the most frequently asked question this past weekend at my Home Depot was; “what is that dripping, creeping, carpet like plant that I am seeing, all over, everywhere around town?”   Without hesitation I lead them right to the Phlox subulata-Creeping Phlox!

How long does it take to spread…..how long does it bloom….does it come back year after year…..???

• From a one gallon container sized plant, the magic carpet will spread 3-4 feet, in about 2-3 years!
  • The blooms can last 3-5 weeks depending on the weather!
  • Yes it comes back, better and better!….in fact it doesn’t go away… Creeping Phlox, is evergreen like, it has its show stopping bloom time… and then phlox becomes a thick green, matted, textured ground cover!
  • Creeping phlox loves to be planted in the sun as a border to a walk, or garden edge, it is fantastic planted to cascade over a wall!

Stop by your local Home Depot and pick up some  Creeping Phlox..........

roll out the carpet, plant a tapestry all your own…I know that next year, when that magic carpet arrives in your yard you will be so happy you did!!!      Welcome Spring!!!        Maureen   .a.k.a......BostonRoots

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-07T13:40:39+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Topic
Categories+