Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Bradford Pear, the 14 year tree.

Hello everyone.

Where I live, just 20 miles outside of Atlanta, there was major development boom happening and our small town turned into a good sized city overnight. Subdivisions were built by the hundreds and Bradford Pears were planted by the thousands. Now the bird has come home to roost.

When we are not dealing with drought, we are having terrible wind and rain storms and there is a pattern that has been developing for the past few years. Most homes in the area are now getting to be 12 to 15 years old and after each storm there are Bradford pears down everywhere and what these trees all have in common is the fact that they are all about 14 years in age. Bradford Pear trees develop weak joints and a huge canopy of leaves which causes them to fall victim to the wind. These trees branch's will split and once this happens then it becomes more vulnerable to the wind and will soon require complete removal.

This is not really anything anyone could have predicted back then, but it has become a great lesson for everyone, including myself. You can rest assured that when my 12 year old Bradford Pears come crashing to the ground that they will not be replaced by more Bradford Pears.

bradford.JPG

bradford2.JPG

There are several other trees that have stood the test of time. Here are a few of my favorites.

Crape Myrtle

crape myrtle.JPG

Red Maple

red maple.JPG

Willow Oak

oak.JPG

Japanese Zelkova

zelkova.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-23T17:50:44+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+