Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Build Outdoor Wooden Bar

Hello,

I am looking to build a simple outdoor wooden bar for my backyard. I was wondering if anyone has some Step by Step directions because I have no clue where to begin.

All I know it that I am going to use it as something like a books shelf. It will be so many feet high with one or two shelves inbetween. I know that I want it to be 4 feet long.

Thank you,

Lauren

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-07T19:19:08+0000  by Lauureeen Lauureeen

I know I want it to be 

48" Long

36" Tall

Not sure on the width though.

Posted 2011-06-07T19:28:34+0000  by Lauureeen

Hello Lauureeen,

That sounds like a really fun project to build and to enjoy after it’s built. 

I have done up a little drawing to show you how I would build it. I would build a frame out of 2 x 4’s, 1/2” plywood for the top, bottom and shelf. Then cover the sides and back with siding called T1-11.(See picture below) You can get it with groves that are 4”OC (on center) or 8”OC. It gives it a nicer look then just plain plywood. Give it a good coat of primer and paint and you’re almost done. Make sure and paint all sides/ends of the wood since it’s going to be outside.

bar framing.JPG

bar shelf.JPG   T1-11.jpgT1-11

Now it’s time to figure out what kind of top you want to go with. You can leave it plywood but it won’t hold up to the weather very well. You would be better off if you tiled it or laid some other type of surface like granite or marble. It will hold up to the weather a lot longer. I used 12” x 12” marble tiles for my countertop and it has held up great.

Here are a couple of How to Videos on how to tile a counter top.

http://bcove.me/glfw2vsb                                 tile countertop.JPG

http://bcove.me/1bzc6sb6

This should be a fun weekend project for you. Post some pictures of your step by step progress and of course your finished project.  I can’t wait to see your finished project. 

Posted 2011-06-08T21:21:57+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+