Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Build Your Own Children's Couch

My husband and I would like to build our girls a mini couch, with storage. I can't find any plans for any projects similar to what were looking for. If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Were just looking for something simple, and we plan to upholster it.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-18T04:12:23+0000  by ashstrickland ashstrickland

If you're willing to make your own cushions to fit the couch and can give me some ages of your daughters, I can come up with a simple, easy to build design for you.

If you consider a chair, common height from the floor to the seat of the chair are as follows:

2.5-4yrs - 10"

4-6yrs - 12"

6-9yrs - 14"

9-12yrs - 16"

12 to adult - 18"

Since you typically want to recline a bit, and the cushions will crush when sitting on them, you could probably use these heights or maybe an inch or two less. 

Posted 2012-05-18T21:20:42+0000  by Paul

Here's a quick sketch of something I found on Ana White's site, resized for children.

Children's Sofa.jpg

Children's Sofa-open.jpg

Children's Sofa-back.jpg

On her site, they walk you through the upholstery and give an idea on finding inexpensive foam.

As I said, this is sized for kids. From floor to the top of the back is only 28", front to back is 21", a seat height (without cushion) of roughly 11-1/4" and only 48" wide. The back could be a little shorter, depending on the thickness of your seat cushion.

Relatively easy to build with common lumber found at your local THD. There are some 1x2's, 2x2's, 2x4's and 2x6's, a couple 2'x4'x1/4" handy panels and a 2'x4'x3/4" handy panel. Everything is put together with pocket hole screws, dowels and glue.

If you need more detail, let me know and I'll break it down further.

Posted 2012-05-18T22:25:59+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+