Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Build headboard

I'm trying to build a headboard for a king size bed. I don't know if I should just paint it or upholster the board.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-09T20:26:42+0000  by karenkim1998200 karenkim1998200

Hello karenkim1998200,

Welcome to the Community.

That sounds like a fun project. Me being a weekend woodworker I would love to see a headboard made out of some kind of exotic wood like zebrawood with a lighter wood like maple to accent it. I’ve made a side table with those 2 woods and they look great together. You could also use a couple of different kind of woods that would complement each other or just a fancy wood like birds eye maple with regular maple to cut down the cost. Sorry I was getting excited talking about woodworking. :smileyvery-happy:

If I were going to make a simple headboard I think it would depend on my bedroom decor. If I wanted it to blend in then I would go with paint. You can always accent it with a couple of different colors or use a decorative finish like a faux finish. Here is a link to see PatInPaint demonstrating how to apply a couple of different faux finishes.

But if you want it to stand out a little more then I would go with the upholstery route. The sky is the limit with fabric and if you do it right you can make it fairly simple to change the upholstery down the road when you want to change the décor.  I hope this has given you a couple of ideas.

Once you have completed the headboard please post some pictures. I would love to see the final product. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions with your projects.

Posted 2011-02-09T21:26:58+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I just went through the same situation myself for my sons room.  I couldn't find a headboard that fit my sons style, so I amped up my creative side and put the power tools to work!  Sometimes the best solutions are the ones we never think of. I'm in the process of decorating my son's room in a football theme for his favorite college team and instead of the traditional bedroom sets, I went to Home Depot and bought the lumber to build a set of lockers as the headboard and am planning on painting the bed frame as well to help tie the room together.  Since you already have the headboard, depending on the shape of it, and how well you tolerate stress, painting it would be a much easier option.  Adding a splash of color in a complementary color to the room can not only bring more life to the room but will also bring focal attention to a project well done!  Good luck!

Posted 2011-03-07T07:21:36+0000  by 321angel

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+