Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Build my own shelves

I saw shelves online  that i absolutely loved, but the designer is based in Mexico and is not producing more inventory.

I was hoping to recreate them in different sizes, but don't have any carpentry experience. Is the design easy enough to replicate myself with the help of Home Depot or would i need to go to a carpenter?

http://blog.visiondecor.com/index.php/2009/04/29/speech-bubble-wall-shelves-cool-stuff/

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-14T22:19:33+0000  by BettyBish BettyBish

Hi BettyBish, I’m Blake from the California Home Depot. I must admit it has been a while since I have flexed any geometry muscles, so I’m a bit sore! I’m afraid that if you don’t have any carpentry experience this is going to be a tough first project to get into. It will require some exact miter cuts that are beyond the capabilities of a normal miter saw. So you would have to fab up a custom miter box with a T Bevel. Or have acess to other specialty woodworking tools. However this would not be a hard project for a carpenter with experience.

To get the angles for the cuts you will need some math, which I would be happy go in depth on if you would like. However a carpenter should be able to figure this out with relative ease. Basically it is a function of the law of exterior angles and the law of interior angles of triangles.

I hope this helps BettyBish, those are very cool shelves thanks for sharing them with us!

-Blake

Posted 2011-03-15T00:02:27+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+