Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Building Baby Hammock

My friend had built this Indian style baby hammock called Ghodiyu. These baby hammocks are very effective for newborns and help with building the proper shape of their body until babies grow during initial 5-6 months.

He used majority of the hardware from Home depot while building it except for the metal handles that holds the swing cloth. He got those from India. I am wondering if there's a solution similar to these metal handles. I could use the bucket handles but they are thin and not as sturdy as the one my friend has. Any alternative ideas here? I would love to hear out the creative solutions.

Does Home Depot has a section where it would allow me to get a metal rod and mold or twist that to the desired shape?

Metal handle:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-23T01:24:41+0000  by SahilP SahilP

Image result for nursery with baby hammock

Greeting SahilP,

Consoling a fussing newborn is an exhausting, full time job; I can understand wanting to try anything that will soothe your baby and bring peace to the whole family.

Thank you for the images of the baby hammock, and to be totally honest, and being a grandmother it makes me a little bit nervous, the whole man made structure, and I don’t like the dangling ropes at all…. but after studying the hammock for a bit, and checking on line sources of sites where you can buy a very expensive baby hammock the concept seems totally do-able.

Home Depot does sell pipe benders, that would allow you to fashion turns and twist like the hanger you desire. I did try to find a site where could just purchase ready to go baby hammock hooks but I found nothing like yours. The hanger in the picture does indeed look like a re-fashioned five-gallon bucket handle, eye hooks, and large white “L” brackets and of course, the wood, are all supplies you can pick up at your local Home Depot.

Is the fabric hammock something you will make, or is it available to purchase ready-made? I imagine that this hammock is only for newborns to ease then through their early months, and you will have an eye on the baby all the time.

From a grandmother’s standpoint, I have a few questions if you don’t mind: What are the ropes for? Can you do without them? Do you need them, if so can they be twined around the top piece of wood so they don’t dangle and cause concern for a potential problem? Are there any toddlers in the house too? One more, if you do have to sew your own fabric hammock part, may I suggest a strong cotton canvas, that breathes and washes really well, maybe you can line it with a flannel or gingham on the inside were the baby rests?

Spend some time in the hardware aisle with the eye hooks and links, I am sure you will find something that will make the fabric part secure to the eye hook, but also remove easy for washing. You just want to make sure that every step you take to put your project together the weight of the baby is considered, the eye hooks, the brackets, the handles, will ensure the stability and the safety of the baby……. oh I do sound like an over protective grandmother!

Image result for Ghodiyu.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the Ghodiyu, the true ancient form of "Rock a bye baby". 

I truly would love to see your project completion, and I also wish you all lots wonderful, peaceful slumber.   Maureen

Posted 2017-02-23T15:51:00+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hello SahilP,

That sounds like a fun and so rewarding project.

In the hardware department we carry an assortment of smooth rods that would be able to be bent to form your brackets for your Ghodiyu. Make sure that you use a thick enough rod that will hold up to the weight that it’s going to be holding.  

I love making things like this. I see it as a challenge.

It’s really tough to make two identical items when your bending it by hand. If I were you I would make a jig with bending rods so that it’s easier to make them the same size and shape. You can use a ¾” piece of plywood and then add bolts or short pieces of metal rods to bend the rod around.

Here is a diagram that I did to give you an idea on how I would make the jig. Keep in mind that the metal rod is not going to be easy to bend. In the past when I've had to bend a metal rod I used a torch to heat it and then bent it to the shape I needed. One bend at a time. If you’re not real familiar with doing things like this, it may be very frustrating so keep that in mind before you take on this project. Some things seem very simple and yet they are not. **I would measure how long the rod needs to be and then bend the hooks at both ends first. They will be the hardest. If you have two rods side by side with just enough room for the rod to fit in between you will be able to bend the end hooks.

So keep in mind that it will be a fun project but it also needs to be made very well since it will be holding one of the most important things in your life.

Have fun building your project and be safe. As Maureen had mentioned please post some pictures of your project here on the community. We would love to see it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help. 

Posted 2017-02-24T21:59:31+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+