Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Building Kitchen Pantry

Look for advise on howhave  to build two matching floor to ceiling pantries for the kitchen.  I have about 32 inches on either side of my kitchen window that would bw great for a set of pantries but I need help getting started.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-13T15:35:04+0000  by AnnL AnnL

Hello AnnL

Thanks for your pantry question, welcome to the community!

32 inches on each side of your window will be a perfect size for your cabinets. Think of it, multiply 32 inches times 3, and you'll get 96 inches, which is the exact height of a 4' by 8' sheet of plywood! With that in mind, we are off to a good start in getting you a pantry cabinet on both sides of your kitchen window.

Typically, the industry size for pre-made pantry cabinets are 84" tall to allow for wiggle room when installing them. In your case, you wanted to have floor to ceiling pantry cabinets. If you make a free-standing unit, you will need to build them at least 2 inches smaller than the height of your ceilings, so they can tip upwards and fit into the space. If you are set on building them permanently, you can building them literally floor to ceiling in this instance. Measuring is the key, and to better visualize it, check out the picture/info below.....

pantrycabinet.JPG

Just depending on what depth you prefer as well as the height of your ceilings will determine exactly what size your cabinets will be. Remember that laminate, solid surface, or quartz countertops will usually come 25 1/2" deep for kitchens. This allows for an 1 1/2" overhang on the front, so keep that in consideration with depths as well if you need to make adjustments for the sides of the countertops to ensure that the pantry cabinets will be exactly the same depth or more, which you will have final say over but it's something to remember.

Also, consider any intrusions like base mouldings or existing flooring that you may need to take out to ensure a safe and secure fit on the wall. Any hard surfaces like tile or wood can be installed on top, but it will be easier to take out any vinyl or resilient flooring door to ensure a level cabinet. In terms of actual installation, I prefer a combination of wood screws and wood glue to guarantee a solid installation on the frames. Shelves can vary as shown in the picture above. But above all, use 3/4" sanded plywood for the entire installation, frame and shelves. MDF can be easier to work with, but I find that sanded real wood like oak or pine work best and are going to be stronger for you in the long run.

So in terms of getting your sizes, finishes, and style, it will be up to you. But with careful measuring, preparing the sides and floor, you should be on your way to getting the right kitchen pantry.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-08-13T17:20:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+