Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Answered

Building a Fold-Out Desk-- Need Help With Hinges

Hi, I'm a novice DIYer, and the first thing on my project list is a fold-out desk for my bedroom. I've got the basic design down, but I'm getting confused as to the type(s) of hinges I would need and how to install them.

Here are the plans I drew for my design (I'm not an engineer or even a very good artist, so sorry if they suck): 

Yeah, so in case you couldn't read the measurements on the pictures, I have 42'' of wall space. I want the desk to be at least 20'' deep, and at least 27'' tall (the right hand side of the desk would rest on top of the filing cabinet). I have this idea for the left hand side leg(s) to be either all or part of a "picture frame" that would swing out when the desk is unfolded. Nevertheless, 6'' is the absolute farthest I want the folded up desk to protrude from the wall.

So here's my question: what kind(s) of hinges would I need and how would I install them to ensure the maximum amount of space saved?

Thanks for the help!

AwkwardPenguin

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-28T04:32:15+0000  by AwkwardPenguin AwkwardPenguin

Hi hello and thank you for joining our How -to-Community. :)

As one of the previous members already suggested, your best option is to use continuous aka piano hinges.

Here's the link to the 30" inch one that is available on our site.

You really don’t have to have hinge go over the full span of the desk, 30” inches will suffice.

To secure the hinge to the wall, you will need to attach a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 wood strip first on to the wall.

Use stud finder to locate the studs and secure the strip to the framing (every 16”) instead of going into the hollow wall. This said you will need to use a minimum of 2-1/2” screws.

Tricky part here is going to be the height at what the desk top should be set at. You may want to assemble the strip, hinge and the top first, set it on top of the cabinet and the secure the strip to the wall with platform already folded down in place.

Once the desk is secured in place I would fold it in closed position and add another strip of wood on to the wall , even with the top (front) of the desk.

This will allow you to add some sort of latching mechanism in between the desk and the wall.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Best Answer

Posted 2013-01-28T16:15:57+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Thank you! Yes, I saw the other post about the piano hinges, but it wasn't really that helpful. Your post was much more informative. Thanks a lot!

Posted 2013-01-29T19:12:07+0000  by AwkwardPenguin

You're welcome!

If you get a chance, post a picture of it too. I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

George

Posted 2013-01-29T19:33:27+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+