Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Building a Furnace

So I'm attempting to build a homemade furnace for smelting as well as general blacksmithing, I've got the concept down on how I'm going to do it, I'm just wondering what type of material I should be using to form it. I assumed I would use heat-resistant cement, but I don't know much about the quality or types of cement. So please point me in the direction as to what product I should be looking for, keep in mind that it has to be able to handle heat anywhere between 1300-1800°F.

Thanks, your fellow DIY-er.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-12T03:35:31+0000  by KevanY KevanY

I know there is a special concrete mix with a product I am not familiar with but know you can find out by looking up a company that specializes in "wood fired  pizza ovens". I put one in a house years ago and it was a weird mix of concrete and these bead type things we had to mix in,but I think if you use the right blocks and do 3 or 4 layers all the way around,top,bottom,sides and back with half inch steel plate for a box with blocks inside is a very good start. I would go on Google and try to find a local blacksmith in your area or glass blowers and contact them and they will be happy to show you what they are using to better help you out, so you don't kill somebody or yourself. Youtube.com  is a good place to get idea's too. I hope this helps.

Posted 2012-01-13T05:19:24+0000  by Tavis

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+