Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Building a Single Step

I need to build a single step, approximately 6 ft wide and 2 ft deep, that will butt against our patio step to make the tall patio step easier to manage.  This will only be needed for a few years, then will be removed.  So I am not looking for a permanent fix.

The step will be like a very small floating deck, placed on the existing concrete and not attached to anything.  Merely a rectangular frame with supporting beams running perpendicular to the length of the frame, then boards placed on top.

I have never built anything out of wood, so I have some basic questions:

1. Should I use treated wood or or wood that hasn’t been treated?  The step will be outside but in a covered area.   

2. If I don’t use treated wood, what do I use on it to protect it from the elements?

3. Should I use 2x4’s or 4x4’s for the frame and supporting beams?  We have some 4x4’s I could use for this, but is there a reason I should use one size over the other?

4. Should I use a certain type of wood (redwood, douglas fir, etc)?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Beth

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-07T16:59:01+0000  by Looneybird Looneybird

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

Using wood that is treated will ensure the step will last as long as possible.

If you don't use treated wood use a heavy duty exterior stain or paint or clear varnish-examples below:

4x4's would make the box heavier and more stable and  able to bear weight- I would put cross beams every 2 feet to make it more secure.

If you use redwood, which is great for exterior, use the wood that has the most color red in it.

Exterior stain: here:

Exterior floor paint :here

Clear sealer, here:

hope this helps!

Posted 2015-04-08T17:18:49+0000  by Gail_HD_OC
Thank you so much for your help, Gail!  I really appreciate it.
Beth

Posted 2015-04-08T20:45:00+0000  by Looneybird

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+