Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Building the Tokyo Floating Bed with Lights

Hello,

I just bought a house and have found I am needing to buy everything at once.  So I am trying to learn how to do things myself as much as I can for items that have a 300-500% markup like the bed I love (probably more of a percentage than that actually).  So I want to build the bed in the picture (don't care about the orange pillows) but I have no clue where to start, please oh please help me build this bed :).

To clarify I am a beginner so explain the things you would think I would know already because I probably don't (I do know what a hammer is though ha ha).

tokyo-float-lights-lg.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-10T20:51:35+0000  by Artemis88 Artemis88
Oh, this is a King sized bed and I have already looked at the other platform bed forums on here. As much as I need to know about how to build the bed there is a bigger curiosity as to how I would build the headboard/end tables.
Posted 2012-07-10T21:14:27+0000  by Artemis88
OH! Another thing is unlike this bed I would like it to be flat against the floor as I lose too many items underneath my bed.

Another question is: is it possible to add a hydraulic lift so that you can store things underneath the mattress/support for mattress? I've seen them at stores but I don't know if that is buildable.
Posted 2012-07-10T21:17:46+0000  by Artemis88

The design of a bed like this isn't greatly different that a couple that have already been discussed. From what I can tell from this picture, the floating aspect of this particular bed, results from the base of the platform being recessed in the floor. Without the recessed area, the height of the base would need to be closer to the ground. I doubt the amount of storage space beneath the mattress would warrant the effort or expense of doing some type of hydraulic lift. That being said, it does have a "Wow! Look what my bed can do!" factor to it. Kind of like a bouncing low-rider.

I found a similar style bed that I've been messing around with a design. I will post it here when I'm done with it.

Posted 2012-07-10T22:23:58+0000  by Paul

Hey there Artemis88,

Thanks for joining us on the community!~

The bed you posted up looks quite familiar actually. We've had quite a number of discussion on platform beds going on here, but that one in particular reminds me of the thread: Building a Platform Bed

The user in that thread posted up a picture most similar to what you're looking at doing, so I'd suggest reading that thread for some good insight. Also peruse our main platform bed topic: how to build a platform bed frame.

I can't say I've ever heard of someone putting hydraulic lifts on their bed and with the dimensions of this style of bed, you won't be getting near the amount of storage I think you have in mind. My friend and colleague ChrisFixIt details a really fun bed design that has a great amount of storage. Perhaps a merging of the two designs is in order for you to get the best of both worlds!~ You can view his design in the thread: How to build a platform bed with storage?

Posted 2012-07-12T16:10:03+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Here is a simple to build knock off of your Tokyo Floating Bed.

Floating Bed.jpg

Floating Bed2.jpg

Floating Bed3.jpg

Floating Bed4.jpg

Floating Bed5.jpg

Floating Bed6.jpg

Floating Bed7.jpg

Very simple to build. No special miters or joinery. Can be built out of dimensional lumber and plywood, all plywood or MDF. If you have a pocket hole jig, you'd have no visible screws.

I can get into particulars regarding building it, if you feel like it's something you'd like to tackle.

Posted 2012-07-13T22:44:04+0000  by Paul
Paul,
Do you by chance have the measurements for this bed in a queen size?
Thank you
Posted 2012-07-15T06:47:11+0000  by samantha

Noooooooo....

But...

A queen size mattress is 16" narrower than a king. Wouldn't take much to make the adjustment. 

Were you interested in building this?

Posted 2012-07-15T10:45:39+0000  by Paul
Yes I am planning on making this bed. I have been searching every where for something I liked found this. Thank you
Posted 2012-07-16T06:24:32+0000  by samantha

Ok, give me some time to write up the details on the construction. It may be a few days or a week, just depends on what life happens to throw at me.

Posted 2012-07-17T20:13:08+0000  by Paul

That would be awesome! Thank you

Posted 2012-07-20T06:17:26+0000  by samantha
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+