Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Butterfly Garden

What are some of the plants that I might easily find at local Home Depots that would be good to attract butterflys?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-25T00:01:05+0000  by LarryB LarryB

Hello LarryB. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Community.

What you might easily find at your local Home Depot depends on where

you live. Since I don’t know where you live I will give you a list of butterfly

plants that you can check to see if your local HD carries. The list will show

plants that attract butterfly larvae and adult butterflies.

Plants that attract butterfly larvae – Yarrow, Hollyhock, Snapdragon, Aster,

Foxglove, Fennel, Sunflower, Alyssum, Lupine, Mallow, Beard tongue, Veronica,

Wisteria, Wild lilac, Tree mallow, Plumbago, Spiraea, Birch, Citrus, Dogwood,

Hawthorn, Pine, Poplar, Oak, and Willow.

Plants that attract adult butterflies – Yarrow, Lily-of-the-Nile, Snapdragon,

Columbine, Thrift, Aster, Astilbe, Shasta daisy, Coreopsis, Cosmos, Delphinium,

Dianthus, Purple coneflower, Fleabane, Candytuft, Sweet pea, Lobelia, Alyssum,

Bee balm, Beard tongue, Phlox, Salvia, Sedum, Tagetes, Verbena, Abelia, Buddleja,

Scotch heather, Wild lilac, Escallonia, Hebe, Lantana, Lavender, Rhododendron,

Rosemary, Spiraea, Maple, Apple, Citrus, and Willow.

A complete list is in The Sunset Western Garden Book, the bible for all gardeners.

I hope this helps. Good luck and take care.

Posted 2012-07-26T15:15:51+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Hey LarryB,

Welcome to the community….What a great question!!  We have a huge variety of plants for sale at The Home Depot, for attracting butterflies to your garden! Depending on the region of the country, and the seasonal time, availability of varieties, may vary.

Creating a butterfly garden is fun, entertaining and rewarding. There are so many annuals, perennials, shrubs and vegetable that will invite butterflies to flutter by.

That being said, here are a few plants that attract our beautiful winged friends.

As for annuals Cosmos, marigolds, Mexican sunflowers, nasturtiums, lantana, and zinnias will act as calling cards for butterflies.

The perennial list is of butterfly attractants are: Autumn Joy Sedum, Bee Balm, Butterfly Weed, Joe Pye Weed, New England Aster, Tall Garden Phlox, and Purple Coneflower,Rudebeckia...too name a few

coneflower.pnglantana.pngmonarch.png

Coneflower..........................................................Lantana...............................................Butterfly weed..............................

The shrub category holds, the ever popular “Buddleia” Butterfly bush (which comes in many cultivars, so many bright and muted colors) the blooms on the butterfly bush appear from late summer to the frost!

This is a buddleia growing happily on the island of Nantucket...7-21-12

Video 224 0 00 28-58.jpg

Lilacs also attract butterflies early on, in the spring, during their bloom time. Check out the new “Bloomarang” lilac which continues to bloom throughout the entire summer season.

Parsleys a food source for swallowtail butterfly babies (caterpillars), so plant some for your culinary use and theirs too! And one of my favorite perennial herbs, Lavender…. that is a must have for any garden( I believe).

Plant these flowers in color masses, butterflies have tiny brains and react to large attractions easier than single stands of flowers.

A butterfly sanctuary is not just flowers and herbs; you should provide a few more, not to fussy accommodations. Place a few flat, dark stones in the morning- sun, this will provide a sun basking spot for the butterflies to re-charge and warm up. Another easy addition is a shallow of tray of water with pebbles, a hydration tray. This will allow them to swoop in and land, without submerging, and get a drink of water with their long tongues also known as a ’proboscis".

I hope this helps you, LarryB, let us know how you are growing with your butterfly garden; we would love to see some pictures. Stop by your local Home depot for the varieties of butterfly plants in your neck of the woods…Best wishes and Enjoy…..BostonRoots

Posted 2012-07-26T16:59:54+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+