Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling


CFL Recessed Require special housing?

Hi All,


I'm trying to decide on some lighting for a family room and kitchen and am considering 5" and 6" recessed options.  Based on my research thus far I'm leaning towards either CFL or LED.  I'm just curious if I use CFL bulbs do I need a special kit? I'm looking for IC kits, ideally in bulk packs. 


Would something like this work for CFL?


Thank you in advance.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-17T17:52:22+0000  by woodman650 woodman650

Hey again woodman650,


In short, no you don't need any special housing for energy-efficient bulbs. One that I prefer customers to use is one shown and linked below. It's LED, but its the trim AND light bulb as one unit.


This is very effective for fixtures that you don't want to change the light bulbs due to extreme heights or out of the way areas.


Click on the image of one shown below. These fixtures last over 20 years, so they are a great investment.

Commercial Electric 6 in. Recessed White LED Retrofit Trim

If you use this type of bulb/trim, you save time and money for your recessed lights. This trim and other similar types should work for your 5 inch housing you wanted.


However, it's cheaper to buy 6 inch housing, as the supply and demand on it is greater...just a thought.


Last year I did a pretty informative and lengthy thread on how to choose the right recessed lighting for your home. Refer to it for any additional questions like placement or installation techniques.



Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments,




Best Answer

Posted 2013-12-18T14:55:36+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Or... are there PAR type CFLs available? 

Posted 2013-12-17T19:11:45+0000  by woodman650

The fixture doesn't care what kind of lamp you screw into it, as long as you don't exceed the wattage limits of the can/trim combo.  That's not going to be an issue with a CFL, which use a lot less power than incandescent lamps.

Posted 2013-12-18T11:56:13+0000  by Adam444

There are PAR type CLFs available.  

Posted 2013-12-18T11:56:56+0000  by Adam444

Thanks for the thorough response, Joseph. I actually spent a lot of time researching last night and came to the same conclusion -- I am going to order LEDs with trim and actually found a good deal on 5" LED housings at my local home depot. I should be all set!

Posted 2013-12-18T15:50:23+0000  by woodman650
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question