Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

CLASS PROJECT: Sundial!

What would be the best material and how do I do it? 

It can be a regular sundial or and equitorial one, I am new to building things and was wondering what would be the best material to use?

It has to:

-Withstand 15mph winds

-Be waterproof

- have an 8x8x8 base

Any ideas?? I get extra points for creativity.

Thanks!:smileyhappy:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-19T18:30:56+0000  by Zayanya Zayanya

Hey Zayanya,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

I must say that building a sundial is a very cool project to do. One of the coolest sundials I ever saw was made from metal on a trip I went to a few years ago, shown below...

Of all the materials out there, wood will be the easiest and  most affordable to alter it into a shape. The wood can simply be painted or stained to have an exterior coat of weather-resistant polyurethane to make it waterproof.

Based on what you have, its really up to your budget and your skill set to do what you want.

No matter what you choose to do, always sketch and draw out some rough ideas of what you would like. Do internet searches of unique and  then typical sundials. It never hurts to keep researching and jotting a few notes alongside your sketches.

Once you have some sketches you like, you can then get an idea of a size you'd prefer. Same thing goes for the base.

Using wood can be less expensive, but you could use that as the base and maybe do metal for the actual sundial. Using bright or unique colors to mark the time would be a nice added touch to it.

Since there so many different options out there for you, I'd first say to search for sundials on the internet and then take note of what you like.

If there is a specific one you like or want to know more about, we can go into further detail with you.

Let me know if this has assisted you, and keep us updated on your progress.

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-19T19:07:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+