Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Cabinet Transformations vs Painting

I have been reading up on Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations, but have also watched Patin Paint's video about glazing, using Martha Stewart glazes.  

What is the difference in the two methods?  Is it me or are the end results the same?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-29T17:07:15+0000  by humbum humbum

Hello HumBum!

Thanks for taking time to review my video: Faux Finish Trim and Cabinets.

You are right on! The end result is basically the same.

Like almost every project, there are several ways you can accomplish the same thing.

Having instructed faux finishing for many years before the Transformation Kit was available; I tend to prefer the traditional approach described in the post linked above.

But I would also add that skill level varies greatly among my customers. And, there are customers who feel more confident following the steps described on the instructional DVD (included in the Transformation Kit).

Face-to-face, I can see the body language that tells me a customer understands the steps and has the confidence to succeed using the traditional approach.

On The Community, I "listen" very carefully to the written description.

In either case, my goal is to suggest the approach that will most likely produce success for my customers.

My goal for every video I produce is to make the project simple enough that everyone can understand the steps and anyone who chooses to proceed will feel confident that they can do it ... You Can Do It, We Can Help!

YOUR ANSWER: The difference between approaches is the kit has four steps, contains a great instructional DVD, and costs approximately $35 more than the products purchased separately.

The traditional approach, that I instruct, also has four steps ... I use 220-grit sandpaper instead of liquid sandpaper, I typically use tinted oil-based primer instead of the bond coat, I use water-based satin or semi-gloss paint following by faux glaze, but the kit applies glaze over the bond coat followed by water-based satin clear coat.

Most of my customers are trying to create an "aged" appearance, so I typically do not recommend using a clear coat. Protective clear coats make the cabinets appear much more uniform ... like a factory finish.

When my customers desire an "aged" appearance, that uniform appearance defeats the intent to "age" their cabinets.

Posted 2012-10-30T14:46:12+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+