Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Cabinet lumber recommendation

I generally build Halloween and setting projects that don't require incredibly accurate lumber dimensions.  I just use whatever I have laying around.

However, I'm being required to build a small liquor cabinet that will look like a trunk.  Basically just a box with two doors.  My problem is I'm not certain what type and dimension the wood for the frame should be.

It needs to be strong enough to hold the bottles and support a regular sized (30X16X13) trunk full of stuff on top of it.  I would like to set it on wheels and would prefer the lightest possible frame I can make.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I should look for?

Should I just forget a wood frame and use metal and just skin it?

Thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-02T20:07:27+0000  by AnnaK32 AnnaK32

Hello AnnaK32,

Welcome to the community.

I’m so very sorry that I didn’t see your questions sooner.

I would suggest building a frame out of 2" x 2" and then sheeting it with 5/8” plywood.

If the trunk on top is going to be extremely heavy then I would use ¾” plywood.

The Plywood would take the majority of the weight so I feel that the 2" x 2" frame would be plenty.

Once you build the box just draw out the doors and use a circular saw and cut them out. The blade kerf will give you the clearance to open and close. Add a couple of hinges handles and latches and you have your double door cabinet all set to load with your favorite beverages.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-04-26T22:00:50+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+