Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Cable Lighting Repair

I have 3 hanging pendant lights on a cable lighting system that was already installed when I moved in.  One of the lights recently went out, and then all 3.  I replaced the dimmer switch and the lamp on the first light, but only 2 of the lights came back on.  The original lamp that went out is still out even with a new lamp.  I'm not sure how to troubleshoot or what to do next with this type of lighting system.  Any ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-25T22:58:11+0000  by jharding222 jharding222

Hello jharding222, and welcome to the community!

Today's switches & dimmers are very picky, and so my first suggestion would be to replace the dimmer with a traditional switch and see how that goes. What kind of bulbs are you using-- Incandescent, CFL, or LED? As I mentioned before some switches or dimmers don't play nice with certain types of bulbs. If you are using CFL - Compact Fluorescent Lights, they don't work in some dimmers and the CFL bulbs will act weird or burn out prematurely. 

Once you have replaced the dimmer with a switch, and if the problem persist, you may want to hire a electrician unless you have the tools & knowledge to test each light bulb socket--it could be that the wire coming down from the ceiling or the wire going into the fixture has loosen.  

Always make sure to turn off the power going to that fixture. 

Posted 2013-01-11T17:02:36+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+