Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Can Behr Premium Plus Ultra cover stains/discoloration on previously painted interior ceiling/walls?

Can Behr Premium Plus Ultra cover stains/discoloration on previously painted interior ceiling/walls? I was planning on going two coats with this product throught interior walls/ceilings. It appears that a large part of the ceiling was previously painted with white latex paint and that a darker discoloration there was never covered adequately--or perhaps water leaked through after the painting causing the stains. In any event, there's been no further discoloration and certainly no moisture in that spot in over ten year and I'm ready to repaint the room with the stained ceiling.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-02T03:59:02+0000  by TonytheAmateur TonytheAmateur

Thanks! I took your advice.

Best Answer

Posted 2014-01-02T14:44:21+0000  by TonytheAmateur

It probably depends a lot on the color your covering and the color you're using but my gut reaction is that if you have the slightest doubt, paint the area with a good quality stain blocking primer like Zissner's BIN.

Posted 2014-01-02T04:13:09+0000  by Adam444

Ultra is a good stain killer, however, like all water based stain killers, it requires about 24 hours before it reachs its maximum stain blocking. If you paint too soon after primeing , water soluble stains will leach the stain right on through.

For serious stains, or when time is of essence, you are better off using one of the non-water soluble stain killers such as BIN (shellac based) or CoverStain ( oil based). Both these dry for recoating in about an hour and block stains extremely well. I always had a gallon of BIN in my work truck at the ready.

Posted 2014-01-02T14:37:26+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+