Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Can I drywall over plastered horsehair material?

Hi How-To Peeps.

Here's a DIY question about drywalling a room. It came to us on a short article and video about drywall on the Apron blog. 

Erin0416 asks:

"Hello, I am attempting to redo a room in my home. The walls are made out of a horsehair material and plastered over. I wanted to install drywall but was not sure if I had to remove all horsehair plaster first or could I drywall right over it?"

I had to look up how in the world horsehair is related to plaster. I learned something new! Now I'm ready to find out if you can drywall over it. 

Thanks!

-Craig, from the Apron blog. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-27T14:38:22+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Hi there Mr. Bloger :smileyhappy:

Craig you can certainly drywall over the plastered walls. Typically thinner 3/8" or 1/4" inch drywall is used for such.

Sheets should be hung horizontally staggered, screwed and glued to the walls. Normally, as you probably know, you would just screw drywall directly to the studs.

However with horsehair plaster and its crumbling nature that’s not feasible and all these extra steps need to be taken to assure good and firm bond of the new drywall to the surface of the plaster.

Ideally you would screw “cover board” directly to the studs but because of the thickness of the wall and presence of the wood lath stud finder doesn’t help much.

One trick, when it comes to locating studs in plaster walls, is to remove baseboards and pay attention to nail spots on the “nailer” board. Things are different with plaster walls, there’s a wood board behind the baseboard :smileyfrustrated:

These are the correct screws that should be used;

ItemImg.jpg

They're called Laminator Screws.

These screws are specifically designed for drywall to drywall or drywall to plaster attachments.

And this is the drywall adhesive;

osi.jpg

Hope this helps,

George

Posted 2012-08-27T15:48:21+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Thanks for the quck answer, SteelToes. That tip to use laminater screws could be crucial. 

I'll make sure Erin0416 gets a link to this.

-Craig

Posted 2012-08-27T15:59:28+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+