Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Can I get a hand remote to go with a wall mount universal remote fan controller?

I just installed a Hampton Bay wall mount universal remote. SKU 191 707 [upc 7 92145 35436 9] 

It works great and I wanted to know if I can get an extra hand held remote to control the same fan in addition to still using the wall controller?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-19T07:57:22+0000  by Chanoch Chanoch

Hello Chanoch.  Welcome to the Community!

The simple answer to your question is yes.  You can buy a hand held remote control that will work with the receiver that is currently in your fan.

However, you can't just buy any hand held remote.  The reason for this is due to a change in industry standards for newer remotes that allows their use with either a dimming function for incandescent light bulbs or a straight on/off function for CFL and LED lights.  Because of this, the DIP switches have changed from the old standard 4 pin switch to a new 4 + 1 switch, and the frequencies are different.

This is the wall mount remote you currently have:

HB Wall Remote.jpg

Instead of the older 4 pin switch settings, you have this configuration:

Wall Remote.PNG

Here is the link to the instruction manual with the above graphic:

It's that last switch on the right "D on/off" that you will want to have on the hand held remote you buy.

When you are looking at the hand held remote packaging, the clue for compatibility will be that it can be used with both CFL and incandescent lights.  An even better way would be to look at the instructions which will show the DIP switch settings.

Here is a hand held remote that will work your fan along with the wall mount remote you have:

HB Hand Remote.jpg

This remote also uses the 4 + 1 pin settings:

Hand Held Remote.PNG

Home Depot sells a wide variety of remote controls for ceiling fans, both at their stores and at homedepot.com.

Online, you can find them here:

In many cases, you can find the instruction or care and use manuals for products by looking at the Description box and clicking on "More Info".  This is often what you will see:

How to find Instructions.PNG

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-03-20T15:41:40+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+