Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Can I make flat paint into gloss?

What I want to know is this:  My walls are painted with flat paint, except for the kitchen and bathroom.  In areas of other rooms, especially around light switches and doorways, every handprint and smudge seems to be a beacon!  They are just so obvious! I have a lot of the flat paint the painters left when they finished and I want to know if there is something I can mix into it to convert it to a semi-gloss finish that I could then use for a second coating in those messy areas?  I am single with teenagers and need all the help I can get in keeping up with and preventing messes!

Thank you anyone who can help me with this!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-26T03:26:43+0000  by brookie brookie

One of the advantages with flat paint is in it's ability to be randomly "touched up".  Any other sheen paint will result in noticeable patch-like differences when ever  this is done.  Each coat of paint essentially adds another layer to the top coat and will also increase the sheen (or at least make it slightly more shiny).  Flat paint is the only paint that can consistently be touched-up and not show any difference to the finiish.

I suggest sticking with the flat paint that you already have and simply address the problem areas on a regular basis. There are a couple of applicators that will make this job a lot easier:

mini roller.jpg          roller kit.jpg

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Posted 2012-02-26T15:47:19+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
just answer the question every body can she turn a flat paint into a satin? every one is talking about other subjects
yes lady you can you can change a flat paint into a satin just buy the same color of paint in a high gloss and mix it together
keep adding high gloss paint little by little into the flat until you get the gloss you are looking for.  don't mix latex with oil base paints I don't know their reaction but common sense they're made with different chemicals.
Posted 2014-12-01T02:50:00+0000  by saladillo
I absolutely love & swear by Krud Kutter!!
I even use it on laundry to get stains out!
If you spray it on a painted surface, do not leave it on too long or it will remove the paint.
It will get out dried acrylic or latex paint. It will get blood out or blueberry juice stains out too. I cannot say enough good things about this product!
Posted 2013-06-27T06:23:52+0000  by Amaahfuz

Hello rgartist!

There actually is a secret to painting water-based paints without brush strokes ... Floetrol.

Floetrol eliminates the brush and roller marks by slowing the dry-time of water-based paints.

Simply add eight-ounces of Floetrol to a gallon of paint, blend thoroughly and make long, flowing strokes instead of the short, choppy strokes many people use when painting.

Wait six-hours and apply a second coat.

Your finish should appear very smooth, like a factory finish.

NOTE:

If you see an imperfection, resist the urge to fix it. Instead, wait until dry (six-hours) and buff the imperfection with 220-grit sandpaper and then touch up the spot.

Posted 2013-04-18T19:47:41+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
but knowing how to paint evenly with semi-gloss enamel premium plus is an artwork. u can clean semi-gloss enamel after it cures
Posted 2013-04-17T07:06:37+0000  by rgartist
first have your kids wash there hands more often, and after u paint keep them away from your masterpiece for 4 days.
Posted 2013-04-17T07:02:08+0000  by rgartist
color match a couple of gallons of bear semi-gloss enamel premium behr plus and paint once and let cure for 4 days the it is anti-mildew and wipable
Posted 2013-04-17T06:57:30+0000  by rgartist

Hey Brookie,

Thanks for the Call-out!

Armed with your new knowledge, you'll be able to ensure your contractors do the job right the next time.

Doing it right once is soo much easier and less frustrating than paying for service that only covers up a problem ... and leaves you to repair it over and over again.

We're glad you joined The Community and look forward to helping on your next project!

Posted 2012-03-13T13:20:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello Sir,

And thank you for your reply!  I think that after reading the many replies, including yours, I probably shouldn't attempt to mix anything since I know very little about the chemistry involved.  That being said, to answer one inquiry, the paint that was used in my home was Behr, for all the different sheens and colors used.  I like the idea of mixing a higher sheen of the same color with the flat ( I have both left over) but don't like as much the idea of repainting the entire flat painted surface myself!  Whoever pointed out that the flat touches up best was right.  I have touched up several spots and you can't even tell!  I have also patched a few "extra" holes and painted over them and again, you can't even tell!  What you say about grease bleeding through, though, that got my interest.  I have noticed several spots in the flat painted surface that appear to be grease of some kind coming through the paint.  that leads me to believe that the painters didn't correctly prepare the walls before painting, which has been evidenced in other ways as well :(

So my best bet is probably going to be to do just what one response suggested and that is to address problem spots as needed and try my best to ignore the fact that i can't stand the appearance of the flat painted surfaces!  

As to your Scout Leader advice regarding the teenagers:  you are so right!  I should make them own their mess more!  thank you for reminding me of that!  I needed it!  And I will be sure to include cleaning and touching up the walls in their next chore list!

thank you again for your valuable advice and thank you to all the kind folks who offered their input as well!  This single mom just gained a few new tools and will be putting them to use right away!

take care,

Brookie

Posted 2012-03-10T06:35:05+0000  by brookie

Hello Brookie!

WOW! Your thread has numerous suggestions ... I'd like to clarify several points.

First, paint solids are ground finer to increase the sheen (Ordjen refers to it as "milled"). This is exactly right!

Because sheen is created by grinding solids finer, there isn't a perfect way to add anything to increase the sheen ... the solids in your can were originally ground only fine enough to appear flat and that will not change no matter what you add.

NOTE: Artists add acrylic media to their paints (for canvas) to create both sheen and texture. These water-base craft/art products are similar to some wall paints. However, I would discourage blending these products ... your end product may not appear uniformly shiny or flat and your dry-time may vary as well.

Second, it is probably easier (as Ordjen suggests) to buy a gallon of satin or semi-gloss in the same color and recoat.

In this line of thinking, you could also use a water-base clear coat in satin or semi-gloss to cover the entire room. Enough clear coat to cover your room would likely cost much more than a new gallon of paint ... so this isn't a great option.

Third, flat does touch-up and shows very few brush or roller marks (as Kevin notes) ... but oil or grease stains will likely bleed back through. An oil-base or shellac primer may be required to seal these stains ... then you'd apply a fresh coat of paint.

Finally, when my customers have stains they need to remove, I frequently recommend Krud Kutter!

Krud Kutter.jpg

This product is a low-odor, spray-on cleaner that will make quick work of almost any stain. Just spritz on, allow it to sit for several minutes and wipe off with a terry towel. This is the closest thing to a workable solution that you may find.

PERSONAL NOTE:

As a former Scout Master, I would encourage you to enlist those teenagers to remove the stains they create!

After a few cleaning sessions, you might notice that they become a tiny bit more aware to prevent making stains.

You'll notice that I say "a tiny bit more aware" ... they are, after all, teenagers!

You've gotta love 'em and often you've got to clean up after them!

Krud Kutter will make cleaning easier.

Posted 2012-02-28T16:15:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+